Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today went very well, as I was finally able to get my Mag Hytek differential cover installed! It has been hibernating in the garage now for several months. Everything went as planned, and the cover looks great.



I am using Amsoil 75w-90 in both diffs as of today. I figured since I had enough time, I would change the front fluid today as well. I think the front fluid change took me longer than the back cover change!
The tough part for me was refilling the thing...I had a flex funnel, but as luck would have it, it was too large to get the proper angle with it, but after a little "engineering" with a razor knife, and using an additional funnel, I was able to dribble the two quarts in there.



I remembered reading a while back, the emergency brake cable support was an issue with the Mag Hytek because the clamp no longer fit with the new cover. I also did a little "engineering" on it. If you reverse the bracket, cut off the part that clamps to the hydraulic brake line, and grind down the bracket's flange around the hole, it will fit perfectly, and at the same angle as before. There is plenty of clearance for the dipstick, and the E-brake cable is in almost the exact same position as before, and sits about 3/4" away from the edge of the new cover.


I took a few fuzzy pics of it. I'll try to post them in hopes that it might help someone else that has encountered this same problem.








Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,913 Posts
Congrats, another success story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I think I've finally mastered the photo upload procedure, so these are some pics of my Mag-Hytek cover installed and of the E-brake cable bracket modification I made...


This shows the bracket installed "backwards", after a little work with the bench grinder to remove some of the metal from the flange around the bolt hole.








The dipstick now has sufficient room to clear the E-brake cable.











This is the finished result...I am very impressed with the high quality engineering of the cover!


You can also see one of the auxiliary back-up lights I installed under the bumper. They make a huge difference in visibility!














Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Every time I see one I want one
too. Edited by: Voodoo
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,539 Posts
Here's a little experience talking. I had the steel bracket that holds the brake line on for a couple of years.

The bracket will cause a dissimilar metals reaction with the aluminum cover. A thick layer of aluminum oxide (white powder) will form and bubble around the bolt and bracket, lifting the paint around it.

You might want to load the hole with grease and use a stainless washer UNDER the braket so it doesn't make contact. Either that or fab something out of SS or aluminum and don't use the steel.

Nice job and boy those covers look great!Edited by: hoot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hoot said:
Here's a little experience talking. I had the steel bracket that holds the brake line on for a couple of years.

The bracket will cause a dissimilar metals reaction with the aluminum cover. A thick layer of aluminum oxide (white powder) will form and bubble around the bolt and bracket, lifting the paint around it.

You might want to load the hole with grease and use a stainless washer UNDER the braket so it doesn't make contact. Either that or fab something out of SS or aluminum and don't use the steel.

Nice job and boy those covers look great!




Thanks for the tip Hoot,


I hadn't considered that...I'll put a s/s washer on and some dielectric silicone grease. That ought to keep it nice and pretty for a long time!


As always, thanks for the good advice!









Kevin
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top