Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not Rick's fault a fellow member was holding hostage ....

Good deal ... They are rugged I mean rugged pieces .....

Rick has put a lot of thought into making them the best they can be ... Fit, finsh,design,installation,was a breeze ...

My stock strap on the passenger side had a kink in it was just a matter of time before it would let go ... I have had them break on my 98 with the weight of just the tailgate when lowering the gate ....

I have confidence the VRStraps will easy hold the weight capacity of the tailgate (600 lbs) for a long long time ....

MMMMM Stainless .....

Mac

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
i wonder if i'll ever get mine?

·
Registered
448 Posts
You guy's need to do what I did. Borrow an Apache from a rich uncle and pick them up in person.
Got my straps in Jan. and they are first rate. Can't imagine they can be broken, but as everything has a weak link in this case I believe it would be where they attach to the truck. In other words I wouldn't advise putting excessive loads on the tail gate as the truck may break and you would still land on your Arse. But it is nice knowing that a time bomb is no longer holding my tailgate up.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I don't do much hauling in the bed of my truck, but I do climb in and out of there a lot and it was a constant concern that my over-2-year-old factory cables might let go and dump me every time I went in and out. Thanks to Victory Red for some fine worksmanship and piece of mind!

·
Registered
600 Posts
These are first rate. But, I noticed that one side of my tailgate doesn't quite put the same tension on the VR Straps as much as the other. That isn't VR's fault, my tailgate must be racked a little.

Does anybody know how to fix this? I'd like even weight on both straps to protect the one from taking all the initial load when dropping the gate.

Jim

·
Registered
812 Posts
2fast2, mine was that way with the OEM cables and now with the VR Straps. Tailgate must be tweaked from the factory, majority of the money tied up in the engine and tranny.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Anybody know how to fix that?

·
Registered
646 Posts
2fast2:

My cables differed by between 1/32 and 1/16 inch. I put 675 lbs. on the tailgate expecting it to 'tweak' it back into place. It helped, but it still isn't even. Maybe over time the tailgate will conform to the straps like it did the cables.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Diesel Power, all I need is an address and I'll ship you off a set. If you're really nice to me I'll make them a donation to you for

1. Giving us this great forum to meet at

2. Giving me a free place to spread my wares

3. Giving us this great forum to meet at(I really like this place if you

haven't noticed!)

As for the uneveness I have the same deal on mine as well. Thing is some report this, some don't. I believe I did a good job on the design but I have no idea how to adjust for manufacturing discrepancies from GM.

a64, wish it wasn't so dang cold that day I would've liked to check out the birdie a little more. Plus I've got two guy's PO'd at me because I didn't bring them along.

dmaxallitech, I'd actually like to chat with you and have you offer them at your website/dealership if you're interested. One of these days I'll have to ring you to chat, or how long till the next gtg?

·
Registered
463 Posts
2fast2 said:
These are first rate. But, I noticed that one side of my tailgate doesn't quite put the same tension on the VR Straps as much as the other. That isn't VR's fault, my tailgate must be racked a little.

Does anybody know how to fix this? I'd like even weight on both straps to protect the one from taking all the initial load when dropping the gate.

Jim

Mine also is racked a little...The left side is tight and the right side has about 3/16"-1/4" of slack in it. If I push down on the gate it will tighten up. I swapped Rick's straps left to right and the right side still has the same slack. I think the cables were not the same lenght and that may have caused the tailgate to bend slightly. I had put a lot of weight on the tailgate from time to time, so any inequality in cable length would no doubt be enough to cause it to rack.

I may try removing the right strap and applying some pressure to the gate and see if I can even it out. With my luck though, I'll probably end up with slack on the left side then.

The slack in the strap is in no way a reflection on the straps themselves. I am extremely happy with Rick's design and workmanship.
I've been spreading the word everywhere I can.

Kevin

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has to do with alignment and catch .... You can adjust catch to minimize slack in straps but as Rick says there are manufactures variables and tolerances to tend with ....

My stock cables were the same one tight one lose ...

Mac

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
so you're the one with the big mouth Kevin???

Anyhow last week or so has been crazy. Last Friday I ordered 65 more pieces for stock, as of right now around 43 are gone already.

·
Registered
326 Posts
2fast2 said:
Anybody know how to fix that?
I'm all ears too, because my DS is tighter then the PS. I spent the better part of an hour trying to "adjust" the tailgate, but I couldn't figure out how to do it (well, I never found the combo that made a difference anyway).

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Switching parts around doesn't fix it... it's still loose on the same side, proves that it's the tailgate. Apparently the cables stretch "even" over time. The straps are exactly the same length and do not stretch.

I personally am not doing anything about it cause it's not that much on mine. You could do a little grinding inside the contact areas on the tight one. That will increase it's working length a little. Grind a little at the top, making the slot slightly longer and at the bottom where it attaches to the gate... elongating the hole a smidgen.

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
463 Posts
hoot said:
Switching parts around doesn't fix it... it's still loose on the same side, proves that it's the tailgate. Apparently the cables stretch "even" over time. The straps are exactly the same length and do not stretch.

I personally am not doing anything about it cause it's not that much on mine. You could do a little grinding inside the contact areas on the tight one. That will increase it's working length a little. Grind a little at the top, making the slot slightly longer and at the bottom where it attaches to the gate... elongating the hole a smidgen.

Good idea hoot,
I will give that a try when I get some time to play with it.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Kevin,

Just be careful if you do attempt this(or anyone else for that matter). If you take away too much material and allow for too much slop you can severly weaken that point. On the upside though, should you goof up these straps can be dismantled by the end user and I can send you out replacement parts if needed.

I wish there was an easy fix for this.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Victory Red said:
Kevin,

Just be careful if you do attempt this(or anyone else for that matter). If you take away too much material and allow for too much slop you can severly weaken that point. On the upside though, should you goof up these straps can be dismantled by the end user and I can send you out replacement parts if needed.

I wish there was an easy fix for this.

Thanks Rick,

If I do tecide to do this, I will be careful...Don't want to mess up a good thing!

Kevin

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Hey Rick,

Finally had nice enough weather (50 degrees...wahoo!!!) to go out and install the straps. Been waiting for a while to, but seeing I spend enough time working outside in this weather ...

You make a great product, that's for sure.

Speaking of that...there was an article in the paper last week about GM having a problem with tailgate cables failing.....

GM tailgate failures subject of safety probe
Last Updated Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:39:48

DETROIT - American safety regulators have upgraded their investigation into tailgate failures on full-size pickup trucks built by General Motors. The probe by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is a move that could signal a major recall.

GM has reported 96 injuries linked to the tailgate problem. If there is a recall, it would involve as many as 4.5 million pickup trucks sold in North America by the world's largest automaker.

The trucks involved include:

<UL>
<LI>1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverados and GMC Sierras
<LI>1999-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
<LI>2002-2003 Cadillac EXT trucks </LI>[/list]

GM has reported 430 complaints about one or both of the tailgate support cables breaking on the trucks. NHTSA said GM has also reported more than 61,000 warranty claims due to the problem.

GM has already recalled more than 2.4 million cars and trucks this month.

Looks like they'll be knocking on your door soon to buy you out!!!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I also finally got around to installing my VR Straps this weekend … they are Awesome!!!

Thanks Rick for developing this great product!!!

When installing the Straps I remembered Rick saying they might touch the paint when opening and closing… So being ultra anal, 
 I added a few pieces of TrimBrite Paint Protection Film to the spots where the straps may momentarily come in contact with the paint. Probably overkill but it was fun… Here are a few pics…

Added Protection Film

Protection Film on potential contact points

TailGate Closing contact – outside

TailGate Closing contact – inside

Edited by: jbplock

1 - 20 of 34 Posts