Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after my last truck caught fire two years ago (dang squirrels), I found finally found another that I might buy. '96 K3500. Beautiful ride. Owner is asking $,7500 knowing it likely needs the IP replaced and that "it's drivable up to 60mph and then it loses pickup." I have my checklist of everything to look over when I go see it. Any members in the Virginia Beach area who want to meet to check it out this Sunday?

Attachments

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yeah. No.
What was the labor cost of sending a truck for a IP repair again?

Labor = 750-1000$, Parts = 650-900$. Assuming the shop actually did the job right on the first try...

If you really really like the truck, I'd lowball him 2-3000$ under his price. Or buy a truck that's actually working, with the same body condition with that price tag.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Just go through everything and take your time. When you mentioned
"it's drivable up to 60mph and then it loses pickup."
It could be a limp mode issue or something more.. Check for any codes

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be taking a lot of time going over it today. I'm definitely not going to pay that price for it but I don't mind having to put some work into it either. I'll update when I get home tonight. (y)

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
Owner canceled on me twice, but I finally got out to look at it today. The results were less than stellar. I started off with going around and writing down all the information such as VIN #, parts that were replaced and what brand they were, etc. Found it interesting that he had a piece of cloth stuffed in the dash hiding the VIN from being seen before I removed it. I mean, very deliberately folded and stuffed in there. Anyway, went ahead with my inspection.

Right off the bat, found the main ground wire from his passenger battery had come loose from the crimped fitting which was left bolted to the frame. Also found play in the turbo wheel, not a lot but still too much. Had fresh oil that had leaked everywhere. Owner said it was coming from the seal at the oil fill but everythig was too coated to tell in the time I had. Was pretty much wrapped up so went around to start the truck and the guy keeps trying to close the hood. I made it clear to him that I wasn't finished and wanted it open.

Started the truck. Started alright, not great. It started quickly but seemed...weak for 3 or 4 seconds. Then I walked back around the front and saw why he wanted the hood closed. Didn't need to remove the oil cap to see the blowby. Wasn't the worst I've seen but certainly not good. Went back inside to check the guages and interior. Oil pressure gauge read 40 plus psi at idle. A/C blew cool (compared to the 92* outside) but very weakly.

Didn't even get around to checking the codes or a test drive because it was getting dark. Looks like I probaby won't be buying this rig. At least not as my main truck...maybe I could use another project. So I'm still in the market around Virginia if anybody's selling (y)

Cheers,
Rudy

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Keep your eyes open on Craigslist or other local ads.

(y)

Reactions: RudyChank

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do. On a side note, do you know if the GM Service guys are still doing VIN checks? I PMed them, but noticed they haven't been active in a while so thought I'd ask. I found the hiding the VIN bit pretty sketchy.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Will do. On a side note, do you know if the GM Service guys are still doing VIN checks? I PMed them, but noticed they haven't been active in a while so thought I'd ask. I found the hiding the VIN bit pretty sketchy.
It's unknown when they will log in. They used to come in on a regular basis but have slowed down to a trickle.
I would recommend taking the VIN down to your local Chevy/GM dealer and ask them to run a check for you.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,756 Posts
Check Facebook marketplace, seems everyone has moved there from Craigslist since it's free and Craigslist charges for ads now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you (y) Yeah, I've been noticing that Craigslist is getting thin. I don't have a Facebook or anything so I have had a couple friends and family doing some searching on Facebook in Florida and turns out there are a lot of old square bodies down there, so maybe I'll get lucky. Appreciate the tip!

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,756 Posts
Thank you (y) Yeah, I've been noticing that Craigslist is getting thin. I don't have a Facebook or anything so I have had a couple friends and family doing some searching on Facebook in Florida and turns out there are a lot of old square bodies down there, so maybe I'll get lucky. Appreciate the tip!
Also check the Craigslist auto parts section, a lot of people are posting vehicles there to get around the fees in the car and truck section.

The part you described about leaving the hood open cracked me up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts