Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im fairly new to the forum, not new to wrench turning. now i consider myself somewhat anal about my maintenance, but im a little confused as to all the changing of filters (oil, tranny, and fuel) before the manuf. schdule? also whats with adding the extra filters??? what advatage is this percieved to have? ive seen several people recommend a tranny filter at 5000 miles wtf, the book says 25000? if memory serves, a slightly "dirty" filter can actually filter better. and if there is enough crap in the engine or tranny to clog a filter, and cause driveabilty problems, youve got way bigger problems than a filter change will help anyway. and why are we cutting them open to see the crud? if there wasnt any i would wonder how much was floating around my machine. after all ive never changed an air filter and said, damn i need to find cleaner air to drive through. crap in filter = crap that isnt floating around the motor.

flame away, just curious.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
you can change your filters whenever you want, its all up to you, its your truck. the oil and tranny you can follow the schedule or sooner as long as its done. Some people are more anal than you say and change them sooner and more often, nothing wrong with that.

the fuel filter is a different story. Diesel fuel is nasty, dirty and unrefined. People cut open their fitlers to see just how dirty and quickly they get dirty with the fuel they use. The benefit of dual fuel filters is just that..better filtration for your fuel and the cleaner fuel you have for a diesel the better it will run and the better mileage you will get.

Some people have no choice but to use a certain type and location for fuel and it may not be the best so putting in a little insurance in your fuel system is a plus.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
The reason alot of people change their filters and fluids for the first time before recommended change intervals is because, we're, like your self-description, anal. Also, new engines and trannies generally have traces of castings, metal shavings, or other debris that, hopefully, gets caught in the filters. Thus, it's generally acceptable to, if you will, prematurely change your filters and fluids. :ro)

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Mechanic acquaintance of mine (not a guy I've dealt with because hes 800 miles away) recommends changing fuel filter every 10K and claims no need for additional filters. Also recommends change out of auto trans filter and the fluid at 25K intervals. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
609 Posts
ive seen several people recommend a tranny filter at 5000 miles wtf, the book says 25000?
flame away, just curious.
Ok here's your flame. :weld:
The book does say to change the tranny filter @ the first 5000 miles. Then @ 25,000 mi.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks to all who responded, looks like there are people more "anal" than me. damn, guess i will have to get with the program.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
My .02 says this:I think it's a combination of 2 factors---GM has failed us with their stupid maintenance schedule using mostly the DIC as the basis for lubes,changes,etc.This,for mechanically inclined people makes them go to a schedule closely resembling a gasser which is'nt all that bad.It's what they're used to when the book actually spoke of maintenance on miles.Now, the other I strongly feel is vendors cashing in on all that extra oil,filters,gadgets you don't need{i.e.--a special wrench for removing the water separator on the fuel filter--it takes 10 seconds with a large channel-lock pliers which every mechanic already has} The more you hear about all these ridiculous claims like changing your tranny filter at 5K miles,odds are more people are going to take notice and spend MUCH more than they need to.Personally,with over 120K miles on 2 DMX's and no major problems ,I change my Rotella T oil at 5K with an AC filter,15K for the fuel filter,25K for tranny oil and filter.I'm all for PM but some of this stuff is just plain dumb---YOU CAN"T TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Anyone know of a good duel fuel filter setup I can install on a 05 Duramax 6.6 LLY?
Not sure about a "duel" fuel filter, but for me the Nicktane filter is the best. It uses a VERY LARGE filter made by Caterpillar that filters down to 2 microns.
A lot of the enthusiasts here on the forum use it. Check http://www.nicktane.com .

There are others as well, but I think I bought and use the best. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
324 Posts
if you also read the manual, this is all recommended intervals. in more svere usage more changes are required. the filters are also how severe you use your vehicle. high usage more filters less changes of fluid. for me, my tranny is the most vulnerable. with towing over 10k, thru hills and mountains I change my fluid at 15k-20k.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well I Use To Be Very Anal On Oil Changes And All That.. However My Diesel Mech At Work Has Changed All That..we Run Our Work Trucks 400 Hours Before We Change Oil And Filters.. ( We Send Oil Samples In For Testing Regularly )we Lub The Chassis Every 100 Hours. Fuel Filter Gets Change Before Colds Weather Sets In ,november.. We Do Not Have Any Problems With This Schedule And Have 21 Trucks Running Everyday. We Are Kinda Rough On Snow Plows, Sanders, And High Speed Under Body Plows.. Hydraulic Hoses Are A Big Pain..
Changed All The Filters On The Blkmaxx At 5k Miles. Changed The Fuel Filter In Nov. Have 10k On The Oil Now And The Last Test Was Great. Will Change It Again Before I Start Towing Heavey This Summer.oh! And Yes, I Use Fram Filters Til I Die Or They Actually Cause Me A Problem We Can Verify..

Arm

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fluids

Do not forget to change that rear end gear lube. Eaton says to change the oil after first tow or a milage which I am sure that somebody on here knows. The old gear lube definately looks bad when you remove it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts