Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys my priming pump is leaking bad and i really don't think i need to get a new one since both filters before that one are 2 micron filters so my question is this has anyone done this before or should i just buy a new pump i am going to have a lift pump after the new year so i don't really think i woud need it. thanks guys for you help

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Is the OEM fuel filter housing primer pump leaking or just nut pumping?
If it does not prime the filter, pressurizing the tank can help.
I've heard of blowing air through a rag to pressurize tank around 5 PSI, and a second person vents filter assembly.
Here's a tread how to modify a fuel tank cap with an air fitting.
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185111
As you said, if you install a lift pump soon, this will be a non-issue.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no the pump itself is leaking

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
It's leaking out of the top, where the plunger is? If that's where it's leaking, and you have a primary filter, just bypass it. Just make sure you put in a new one before you have any dealer work done on it. I'm sure the dealer would try to deny any warranty work for having a bypassed fuel filter.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Since you have a Nicktane, you could bypass but that poses a problem with priming. I have pressurized the tank and it works like a charm. However, that is using the bleed screw on the filter head. If you remove that option, I do not know how the system will bleed the air.

Eric Merchant has filter head assemblies if you decide to replace.

Can you describe where it is leaking? (around the plunger?) Do you know what caused the leak?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i don't know what caused the leak and yes around the plunger the bleed screw was the first thing i thought about but it is tight and i watched it to make sure. i was thinking of puting some kind of t hand valve and a hose so that i would bleed off the air like that. do you think that would work

·
Registered
543 Posts
i don't know what caused the leak and yes around the plunger the bleed screw was the first thing i thought about but it is tight and i watched it to make sure. i was thinking of puting some kind of t hand valve and a hose so that i would bleed off the air like that. do you think that would work
Don't know.. I would have to see your setup. I can tell you that I have taken mine apart a couple of times and if it is leaking around the prunger - then the o-ring plunger is leaking. There is no fix (rebuild) only replacement.

If you could come up with another fitler head that will bolt is in that position and comes with its own bleed screw - that would be a good solution. If so, you could add a valve and hose and prime using a hand vacuum pump.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Since you have a Nicktane, you could bypass but that poses a problem with priming. I have pressurized the tank and it works like a charm. However, that is using the bleed screw on the filter head. If you remove that option, I do not know how the system will bleed the air.
Could you bleed at the fuel pressure test fitting, (Schroeder type valve), located on to front of engine?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i don't think you can but i may be wrong

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well nothing is going to happen till after the new year and i am able to haul the hay i need to. So i will make some good money for only day and a half work and that is if i just do it myself

1 - 12 of 12 Posts