Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Utah and own a 84 6.2 Diesel truck that I use for my landscaping/snow removal business. I have had nothing but problems with the fuel system. I have been religious in my efforts to fuel at major stations & using Standine fuel treatment at every stop, but for some reason I am always plugging up the filter system. I have the stock filter system on my truck, the one that looks like a tin foil bread pan that is attached to the firewall of the truck. I will be driving and she will just quit on my. I have to end up flushing the system and replacing the filter before I am able to get it up and running again.

Is there a better filter system out there or do I have a different problem. Also does any one have any further information about my current fuel system and how it functions?

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I might need to do to help my problem?
Last year I dropped & cleaned the fuel tanks.

My 6.2 runs great when I am able to get fuel to the system but it is supper temperamental

·
Registered
540 Posts
Algie in the fuel system?

Try using a dose of an algecide and see what happens. If you really have algie using the algecide will definete clog the filter big time until you flush all those little critters out of the system.

·
Registered
294 Posts
On my 87 I mounted a Wicks 1 qt. filter on the frame rail under the rear seat at the same time I replaced the stock lift pump with a Carter 4# electric pump. The Wicks will seperate out water and has a drain on the bottom that I drained each time I change the oil to insure no water got to the stock filter.

Keep in mind that the lowest point in the fuel system on your truck is the fuel pump. When I removed and opened mine it had an 1/8 in. of rust scale in the bottom thus the Carter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are you sure the filter is plugging or are you just going by the Water in Fuel light to change it?

The Vacuum sensor in the light gets weak and reads incorrectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<DIV>Thanks for the reply... let me walk you through the process that I am taking to fix the problem... now try not to laugh if I am doing something wrong or get a good laugh and then give me some advice...</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>When my 6.2 goes on me the engine will turn over but you can tell that it isn't getting fuel.. so usually I take the filter off, crank it a few times to get any junk out and then put the new filter on (flush). Then I give it a go by reprimeing the filter... Most of the time this does not work. I then take the filter off and check to see if I have plugged another filter. I do this by, dumping all the fuel out and then, blowing in the inlet portion of the filter... I determine that the filter is plugged if I can't blow through the filter... I maybe assuming too much by doing this... If I can't blow through the filter I assume that it is plugged and go through the "flush" process again... Sometimes I have to go through 3 or 4 filters before I get it going... @ $15 per filter 4 times, it is killing me.... am I right in assuming that filter is plugged by blowing through it??</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Some times I have to drain the fuel out and put fresh fuel in and then go through the "flush" process again.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Am I using the wrong fuel or possibly something else that could be wrong??</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>How do you change your filter out and what is the process that you do to prime it... I leave the top passenger side valve open until I see fluid come out and then I close it and crank it some more... to drain the excess water off I turn the lower driver side knob and that drains the fluid out... Do you know where I can get some additional information on the whole filter.
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>My father and I took the bed & tanks off as well as replaced the fuel pump last summer... We dumped the fuel and cleaned the tanks as well as we could... there was some residue in the passenger side tank , but I figured that we cleaned it out and that wasn't the problem but I guess I could be getting rust in the system from my passenger side tank... we tried to recycle the fuel in my fathers John Deere but it wouldn't run... </DIV></DIV>

·
Registered
294 Posts
The filter used on your truck is assembled with a rim roll to close it. Open one of your old filters by either rolling back this seal or machining it open. Once you have the filter open you can see if it is in fact clogged and if so what is clogging it. If you don't see any apparant problem you should be able to see fuel flow from side to side as you tip the filter back and forth. Not only will you be able to see fuel move across the filter media in an unclogged, but used filter, but you will see some dirt trapped and released from the media as you tip it back and forth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts