Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a post somewhere else today and they were talking about filter mags. I'm wondering where I could get some? Does anyone make a magnet for the oil and fuel filters? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Kevin

·
Registered
149 Posts
Check this out :

LinkEdited by: hoot

·
Registered
307 Posts
I talked to them when they were still developing the RA model for the Duramax and racing applications. They said the magnet had to be super strong to be able to collect metallic particles from the relatively high pressure oil circulation in our trucks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Holy crap [email protected]!!!!!!!!! $128 bucks for a magnet, i think I'm in the wrong business....

Edited by hoot....
Removed the code from JK's site. A link would be fine.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Holly Bat crap is right. Man I can buy a few extra filters for that cost.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Seems to me someone could go to their local Science surplus store and buy some large powerful magnets. I don't see what makes these so special either than the fact they are encased in plastic and $125 a pop. Maybe I should grab some burned up driver motors from some of our robots and sell the magnets for 1/2 that(large magnets are used to assist in the braking of the various axis of arms).
Edited by: Victory Red

·
Registered
994 Posts
The price for the fuel filter magnet assembly is $165 (Not $125
).

IMHO, actually could be worth it if there was supporting data to show at least a 1 ISO count drop on the clean side of your last filter prior to injection system.

·
Registered
369 Posts
gsxr1216 said:
Holy crap [email protected]!!!!!!!!! $128 bucks for a magnet, i think I'm in the wrong business....

Edited by hoot....
Removed the code from JK's site. A link would be fine.

why did that get edited????????? first off it was the price directly from filtermags.coms website, not JK'S???????? Whats wrong with posting that?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I removed the "cut & paste" from the web site for two reasons...

1) It was currupted with a bunch of erroneous HTML code
2) I don't think it's appropriate to cut and paste code from a vendors price page.

You posted the price and you're welcome to post a link to that page. I don't think I took anything away from the original intention of the post.

hoot

BTW: Sorry.... I just assumed it was JK's site.Edited by: hoot

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
These aren't your average refrigerator magnets...

There's 12-14 per unit too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
As John has indicated, these filter magnets are not just magnets attached to a flexible mount, but a 'cost no object' design that, from what I have seen to date, does indeed work.
The problem with using magnets for filtration is that when they are immersed in a fluid, the strong magnetic field of a Neo magnet works wonderfully as a filter, pulling ferrous materials from one angstrom thru chunks and clunks of metal. However, when even a very thin metal wall or shield is put between the magnet and a fluid, the magnetic field reduces tremendously, resulting in much less force field to attract wear metals. Thus, the effectiveness of magnets used on oil/fuel filters has been limited. With the high rate of oil/fuel flow going by the outside filter wall, the force has to be strong to capture particles. The significant aspect of the Filtermag is that they incorporated two very unique aspects into the design which enable the unit to work very well even after going through the filter wall.
1. They use very high quality, high cost, high powered neo and many of them.
2. They used a force field director on the outside of the filter magnets so that all of the magnetic field is directed inward so synergistic results occur. i.e. one very, very powerful magnetic field which easily penetrates the oil/fuel filter wall thus providing a very effective filter capability.

I am in the processing of running extensive tests on the unit's effectiveness for both oil and fuel filtration applications. I have run one fuel without magnet and with magnet. The ISO was reduced from a 14/13/11 to 13/11/9. Particles were cut in half...
Actual particle counts were:

Without Magnet:
>2 Microns 1044, >5 mcrons 363, >15 microns 40, >25 microns 7, >50 microns 1

With FilterMagnet:
>2 Microns 278, >5 Microns 52, :15 Microns 5, > 25 Microns 1, :50 Microns 0

So, there you have it.. One test, accomplished in controled, real conditions at a 60 gpm flow rate.
More test results to follow in the coming weeks/months..
George Morrison

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ahh, you can always count on George to state only the absolute facts with supporting data......just once George drop a little BS on us for shock value ha ha ha Tell us our muffler bearings are wearing out too fast and need filtration or something is wrong with the chromostats.

I think George needs his own TV series like the crime lab guys in Las Vegas or Miami. LOL I am sure it will be most interesting and something I can relate to better than all those murders etc.

Just kidding George, you are the Merlin of our Time! Don't think we could get by without ya!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
George,

Not to be a pain, but how about the test bed layout? What type of filter? 10 mic, 5 mic, 2 mic? Just a normal pass through OEM or one of the commonly used secondaries? Just not quite enough information to sell me just yet.

·
Registered
238 Posts
So maybe the answer for fuel filtering is an add on secondary filter and then a filter mag on the OEM filter.

Jess

·
Registered
394 Posts
As I indicated in my previous post, I am sharing the results of one fuel test which were very impressive but with more testing to follow and results posted as they become available. The filter was a prototype filter I am developing for use on commercial fuel dispensing equipment. (note the 60 gpm flow rate indicated) The filter is a full synthetic 2 micron beta 2000 filter and the test was accomplished via full running stream at 60 gpm. A sample test port was established before and after the fuel filter and the sample bottles triple rinsed with each capture. There were a total of 3 samples captured before the filter mag was installed and then 3 triple rinse samples captured after the filter mag was installed on the filter housing and the particle count readings are the averages for the 3 samples. 20 gallons of diesel fuel was run between the two sample captures.
Thus, given the relatively short residence time, high flow rate of the fuel through the filter housing, some very impressive numbers. Given that the fuel throughput flow rate on our Duramax is much less than my 60 gpm test setup, one could expect similar or better results. We shall see....
George Morrison
Edited by: Georgecls

·
Registered
994 Posts
George,

A couple of weeks ago on TDP we were involved in a discussion on FilterMags and you posted "I have a diesel fuel sample processing for spectro analysis in the lab as I write. We should know today or tomorrow exactly what the contaminants are in my diesel fuel!"

Reference this link:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007030

So my question: What is the percent make-up of contaminants that are in diesel fuel?

It is good to see someone is running a test (or two). I second what Victory Red says above, hopefully the details will be documented and published.

Regards,

Alan

1 - 20 of 72 Posts