Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see this one after a quick search and might have been talked about but what the heck... I'd post anyway.

While at the dealer I was chatting with the maintenance shop supervisor about my truck's fuel gage is way way off. Never dips below 3/4 tank. When it hits 3/4 tank it will take 20+ gallons. Seem to have worked for the first 1000 miles but started to be off the second 1000. Not good! We'll be getting that fixed soon but what he passed on to me something that I thought I'd pass on here.

He said to make sure you don't fill up the truck with the key on or engine running... ahhh duh ok. Never did that before and didn't plan on it but why I asked. Seems it won't reset the fuel gage and it will then be stuck on 'E' forever and you'll have to bring the truck in for a reprogram. They had a few come in with that problem already. I chuckled and made the mental note to avoid the issue.

cmc

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have filled up with the engine running a few times. Diesel is not a dangerous fuel in that respect. Many commercial drivers never turn the engine off at the pump.

Anyways if it is cold out, and no gasoline pumps are nearby I will leave the engine running. Some people up here will leave thier cars running while they are doing thier grocery shopping.

I have not had any of the trouble that you describe, but I have noticed that the guage will take a long time to return to the full mark after doing so. By contrast when you turn the engine off the guage will read full almost instantly after you start.

Good info GMC, I will keep this in mind. --SS

·
Registered
347 Posts
I almost always refuel with the engine running. The gage takes a long time to return to 'full', but I've never had a problem. Besides the truck is still blowing nice warm air in the winter.....(or A/C in the Summer).

Later....

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
dont think I ever shut it off when gassing in 11000 miles

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I should point out that was on my 04. I don't know if that problem carries over to other years.

Understood about the flammability of the fuel it's just I'd probably lock my self out of my truck some time... :)

cheers,

cmc

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Hey, I gotta bridge for sale too. I can reprogram your truck over the internet for the gauge not working, just start a thread and send me 10 bucks and I will take care of that for ya

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
I always leave my truck idling with my tail pipe pointed toward the handicap parking spots.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"I can reprogram your truck over the internet"

Wait a min. I need to upgrade my virus software in my truck before we get started...

I had a really good laugh the first time I was told.. "Yea bring your truck on down and we'll reflash the computer" Oh dear god! Coming from my line of work that was just to funny.

cmcEdited by: CMC-GMC

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's Hockey... I never turn mine off while fueling and now that I have my Transferflow 70-Gallon tank it fills up the tank while driving down the road...Go figure.

SmokeyMax

·
Registered
218 Posts
Same here, filled out of a 110 gal. tank in the back with a transfer pump, never had a problem. Ask your rocket scientist where he got that from and how it ruins the gauge.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
In all seriousness, there are abilities to reprogram the modules in todays vehicles. The only effect on fueling while the truck is running is the gauge is slow to return to full.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
valid points guys... I think I'll hit them up when I return to get my fuel gage fixed. Mine has never dropped off full for the last three fill ups. And they have been between 20-15 gallons of fuel taken on board. Not happy. Oh well.

cmc

·
Registered
276 Posts
CMC-GMC said:
... it's just I'd probably lock my self out of my truck some time... :) ...

I don't think that you can lock yourself out of your truck while it's running. I TRIED to lock mine the other day while it was running (and BTW, I was fueling
), and the driver's door would always unlock with the engine running...

CADman_ks

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My 02 can be locked with the engine running. I think something is wrong with your truck CADman. Later! Frank

·
Registered
276 Posts
Frank Blum said:
My 02 can be locked with the engine running. I think something is wrong with your truck CADman. Later! Frank

I don't know if there's something wrong with it, or it's supposed to be that way. It's not really a problem though, unless I wanted to leave it running in a parking lot UNATTENDED, and I would never do that with this truck. I used to do that all the time with my Dodge, but no one ever stole it.
I don't really want this truck stolen, so I won't leave it running unattended...

CADman_ks

·
Registered
433 Posts
I know my 01 is programmed so it will not lock the drivers door while the key is in the ignition. This is supposed to be this way. A lot of newer vehicles are programmed this way to prevent locking of the drivers door. Ya know there are some people out there that just forget to take their keys out of the ignition and lock the door and by the time the door clicks, they are saying OH $H!T.
Now they don't have to worry.
Seems auto industries are thinking of the people problems while making their designs rather then vehicle problems.

Jeff

·
Registered
40 Posts
I always fuel w/ the motor running. I can't lock my doors w/ the truck running and the door open. As soon as I hit the lock it locks then unlocks, click click. I have however locked the keys in the truck w/ the truck running. I think I had hit the door lock prior to putting the key in and starting the truck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I fuel up with the motor running too and as well from my aux fuel tank. I think you have a bad ground on your fuel tank and the mechanic hasn't got a clue what to look for.

LOCKOUT PROTECTION - will not allow the driver's door to stay locked after hitting the lock button if the key is in the ignition, running or not. It will, however, allow it to lock with the key halfway out of the ignition as I found out the ha
rd way!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts