Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have to say that this site is great!! This is my first duramax, (just traded in my '02 1500 Z71), and so far I am loving this truck!!

This is my first diesel, though, and am trying to learn as much as possible!

My question is this....so far every time I have filled up I've gotten a bath!!
I've filled up 3 times, and not once has the pump clicked off like a gas pump when the truck is full! I've even tried pumping as slow as possible thinking that the fuel was foaming causing it to overflow. Still had the same problem! When I pull the nozzle the fuel is right to the top of the neck.

Do diesel pumps click off like gas pumps, or do I need to stop it when I think I'm close to full!! It drives me crazy seeing diesel run down the side of my brand new truck!!

oh, and I'm not using a large high flow pump either, I'm using the smaller flow pumps.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
288 Posts
FIN ADDICT, TRUCK IS NEW, HERE IN JERSEY WE CANT PUMP OUR ON FUEL. I THINK WE ARE THE ONLY STATE LEFT WITH THIS STUPID LAW. ANYHOW, LAST TIME I FUELED UP PUMP KEPT RUNNING WHAT A MESS! TEMP WAS 5, NOT EASY TO CLEAN UP. ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've only had this problem with the high flow pumps, you actually have to pay attention. On the small pumps, I just jamb that nozzle in there really good and crank it. When it clicks I pour it in slow to get the last drops in. If you hold it on low it won't kick off.

BRUCE, I think that NJ law only applies to gasoline. Some crap about about gas being explosive and diesel only being combustible. If you go to a station with a lot of truck traffic the attendant usually won't even come over to you. I've never been told not to pump my own diesel where as I have been yelled at in foreign languages not to pump gasoline.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stizo said:
. If you hold it on low it won't kick off.

Maybe, that's my problem.....maybe I'm pumping TOO slow!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Fin,

I think that definately is the problem. When you pump it quickly, the fuel rushing up will usually click it off before you overflow. If you do it slowly, than by the time your pump clicks off, its too late. Good luck with keeping those ugly fuel stains off the left side of the rig.

Bob

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I never had a problem with filling...the only problem I am having it trying to get the Over the Road Pumps to fit and fill with out any problems. I have been driving diesels since '99 and have used all types of pumps. I did however come to find...when I tried to install a 4500(unrestricted opening) filler into my 2500 it does not work. We have a rubber hose connecting the filler to the tank. Inside the rubber hose there is a big cheap plastic tube runing from the filler to the tank. This might be causing the problem. The plastic tube is taking away from the area that fuel needs to be.
It might be some kind of vent system...but to me it looks like a VERY BAD design.

We have diesel trucks that require diesel fuel..and sometimes we can not stop at the auto diesel pumps....go figure....pulling a trailure.
So, this means we need to use the OTR pumps...we should not have to take a diesel bath because we have a trailer. Then jump back into the leather interior and drive for hours.

ps. Fin-Addict
Welcome to the world of diesel.
Edited by: NoWake200

·
Registered
138 Posts
On the OEM fuel filler, the fuel goes down that ugly, cheap plastic inner tube and the air/fumes are supposed to vent around the outside of the plastic tube and back up the outer rubber tube. Yep, good theory, but it doesn't work very well. I tried to live with it when I put in my 45 gallon transfer flow, but finally got fed up with it and bought the $$$ Transfer Flow filler made for their tank. Big difference, no more spills.

·
Registered
288 Posts
STIZO: I NEVER KNEW THAT YOU CAN PUMP YOUR OWN DIESEL. I WILL CHECK WITH ATTENDENT NEXT TIME. THAT WOULD TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM AS I WOULD BE A LOT MORE CAREFUL THEN THEY ARE. I'M AN OLD FA#T AND STILL LEARN SOMETHING EVERY DAY. THANKS

·
Registered
398 Posts
BRUCE said:
FIN ADDICT, TRUCK IS NEW, HERE IN JERSEY WE CANT PUMP OUR ON FUEL. I THINK WE ARE THE ONLY STATE LEFT WITH THIS STUPID LAW. ANYHOW, LAST TIME I FUELED UP PUMP KEPT RUNNING WHAT A MESS! TEMP WAS 5, NOT EASY TO CLEAN UP. ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON?

Hey Bruce

Do you guys pay more for your fuel because of this?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Fin-Addict said:
My question is this....so far every time I have filled up I've gotten a bath!!
I've filled up 3 times, and not once has the pump clicked off like a gas pump when the truck is full! I've even tried pumping as slow as possible thinking that the fuel was foaming causing it to overflow. Still had the same problem! When I pull the nozzle the fuel is right to the top of the neck.

Do diesel pumps click off like gas pumps, or do I need to stop it when I think I'm close to full!! It drives me crazy seeing diesel run down the side of my brand new truck!!

My experience w/pumping diesel has been that while it does clik off, the nature of the fuel and its containment results in a belch at the same time and causes a kick/splash of fuel. I can never pump full blast regardless of nozzles. I moderate as I know its about full and focus on the foam ~ after it bit, I'm fairly good at it. However, some of the travel centers in the SW have wet/dirty hoses that tend to clean themselve on my trousers if I fail to wide'um first.

·
Registered
164 Posts
BRUCE said:
I THINK WE ARE THE ONLY STATE LEFT WITH THIS STUPID LAW.

Oregon doesn't let you pump gas either. Don't know if you can pump diesel or not, but I'll be finding out soon enough ... planning on ordering my Duramax in the next week or so...!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
BRUCE said:

Not the only state, Oregon is another stupid state where it's against the law to pump your own gas/diesel. I've heard where it's ok to pump diesel as long as it's an isolated pump so many feet away from whatever ... I joined a private card lock system (Pacific Pride) just so I can pump my own fuel.
Oregon did pass a law last year that allows motorcyclist to pump their own gas ...but the attendent has to hand you the pump ... beats having idiots overfill your harley though.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
gwmayes said:
On the OEM fuel filler, the fuel goes down that ugly, cheap plastic inner tube and the air/fumes are supposed to vent around the outside of the plastic tube and back up the outer rubber tube. Yep, good theory, but it doesn't work very well. I tried to live with it when I put in my 45 gallon transfer flow, but finally got fed up with it and bought the $$$ Transfer Flow filler made for their tank. Big difference, no more spills.

I am going to remove the plastic tub tomorrow...What do you think the difference will be from removing the plastic tub vs. buy a new filler and tub?

FYI, in NJ they pump the diesel for you....at least they did were I drove a tow truck...I pumped my own..because I worked there but all the trucks that showed up the 'filler dude" did the filling. My friend even got fired because the pump fell out of a big tank and just kept pumping fuel all over the lot.

Now I do not know about truck stops..were I worked was a small station with big diesel pumps for the local trucks(UPS, FedEx, Dump Trucks and so on)

I live in MO and we can pump until our heart is content.
Edited by: NoWake200

·
Registered
420 Posts
BRUCE said:
HERE IN JERSEY WE CANT PUMP OUR ON FUEL. I THINK WE ARE THE ONLY STATE LEFT WITH THIS STUPID LAW. QUOTE]

Oregon won't let you pump your own fuel either. I always try to get through Oregon without a fillup if I can. NO ONE else is going to spill fuel on, or scratch my vehicle!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
removing the plastic inside line will not allow your tank to vent properly, or the same as it was supposed to. might work ok depending on how fast you fill it- let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's been a few years since I lived in Philly area, but IIRC NJ gas was cheaper than PA self serve. Like $.05-.10 cheaper. Is this still the case? I didn't drive a diesel then, is fuel cheaper too?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've lived in Oregon my entire life. You can't pump any fuel yourself, unless you get a card lock account.Edited by: Mr. Mister

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
army said:
removing the plastic inside line will not allow your tank to vent properly, or the same as it was supposed to. might work ok depending on how fast you fill it- let us know how it works out!

army, you are 100% correct...I removed it yesturday and took diesel bath. It is the fill vent not a tank vent, the tub prevents choking. Now if you want to pump on the first click of the pump then it is fine, but I would not recommend using the OTR pumps. I ordered the TransferFlow filler, it is the same system they use one the 4500 and Strokers. Why our trucks do not have this type of fill system is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
One more thing...if you do remove it to try this idea you will need to get a new filler asmb. You have to bang the heck out of the pressed portion of the fill to get it out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts