Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the FFM question! Put in another FFM from Leroy and all was good for 2 months. One afternoon started it up and backed out of the driveway and left a trail of diesel into the street. Pulled back in popped the hood and fuel is pouring out of the top of the FFM. Shut it down and tightened the nut down and it stopped leaking. Thought it was weird that it loosened but it happened. 3 weeks later after I installed a 4 inch lift and all new front end parts it was up on the rack getting an alignment. The tech starts it up to back it down and it starts pouring diesel out the bottom. It was the cap again, it's still pretty tight but I turned it about a quarter turn and it stopped leaking. 3-4 days later it starts leaking again and now it won't stop! So I decided to try the WIX style all in one filter and that leaks! It isn't nearly as bad as the other style but still a drip down the back from the valley. Anyone have any ideas??

Second problem! During the lift install I also replaced the calipers and rotors as well. Now when I hit the brakes above 40 it pulls to the left pretty good. Once I'm below 30 it doesn't pull much but is still there. I bleed the breaks again thinking there might have been some air in the right line. It helped but still pulls left!

Anyone with any thoughts on either problem its appreciated! Thanks

·
Administrator
19,948 Posts
Check the top of the FFM. There is a groove where a flat oring/seal sits when you crank it down will create a seal.
That seal often gets forgotten and either doubles the seal when you install a new filter or never replaces it, creating a leak

Reactions: Glagulator

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, the WIX style filter came with a new o ring! I was under the impression that the ones that work with the plastic nut had a seal built in?

·
Administrator
19,948 Posts
Yep, the WIX style filter came with a new o ring! I was under the impression that the ones that work with the plastic nut had a seal built in?
IIRC, the base of the bleed screw has a small oring seal on the WIX filters

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they do. The actual leak is coming from the threads of the large plastic nut. So the main seal isn't holding. The leak isn't coming from the bleeder screw. Sorry if i didn't make that clear.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Did you install the rubber gasket/seal that comes with the wix filter? It goes between the top plastic screw on cover and the filter case?

Regarding the brakes. Did you install new wheel cylinder brake lines along with the new calipers? If still orginal your brake line are way overdue for replacement.

Reactions: Glagulator

·
Registered
84 K30 CUCV 6.2, 98 Suburban 6.5, 99 Suburban 6.5, 06 Ram 5.9
31 Posts
I would second Tommygunner.. sounds like a bad rubber line going to the caliper if it's pulling after new rotors and calipers.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The gasket was installed and still leaks! I tracked down the other style filter with the nut and put that one in and so far no leaks. Time will tell if it will be an on going problem of leaking again. Maybe I just got to bad seals???

I do believe you guys could be right about the brake lines. They do have some age and probably could use some replacing. That will be in the list. Although I think I found the problem I hope. Stupid me didn't check the work after the alignment and the drivers side inner tie rod end was loose and had no cotter pin in it! The nut was hanging on by a few threads. The shank was loose in the hole and had a ton of play in it. So I'm thinking that might be where the pull is coming from when braking?? The tie is shifting outward when I hit the brakes? Did have checked the work!

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the treks guys!! Appreciate the comments and ideas!

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,226 Posts
I battled that FFM leak also when I just bought the truck.
Turns out, the o-ring on those filter is one time used.
If you did not get it installed correctly the first time, it will leak even when you tried to tighten it.
The engine vibration can loosen it if it is not tightened properly.

Not an expert in brake but you may want to check the suspension parts.
May be the steering linkage is bad.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree I believe the seal was bad on both the filters I had out of the box. I replaced it and it's no longer leaking. Hopefully it will remain that way. Just weird that 2 style filters were both leaking! As for the break issue I belive the inner tie rod was the culprit!! I won't be home for a couple days to confirm but was able to jack the drivers side up and the front tire had at least 3/4" of left right movement in it. I'll update when i get home!

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW, I got a brand new AC Delco FFM, came fully assembled, and the thing sprayed diesel all over the place and leaked at least a gallon or two in my driveway before I realized what was going on and stopped it. The O-ring was boogered up under the cap from the factory. :mad: Replaced the cap with one of those WIX units with the plastic cap, and no problems since.

Reactions: 56pan
1 - 12 of 12 Posts