Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont konw much about this but I was just wondering if when I find the biggest program that someone has made can it just be loaded onto my truck? this might sound stupid but I dont really know how it works, Im in southern ohio if this can happen!!!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Sure if you can get someone to release their work to you just like any down loadable tuner.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats cool so when someone makes a killer program I can just fork over some cash and get it loaded onto my truck! that awsome!! is it adjustable? or is it on all the time?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
you have alot of reading to catch up on there gotta dmax, get a signature together with some more info on your truck and I'm sure that some of us can point you in the right direction!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Thats cool so when someone makes a killer program I can just fork over some cash and get it loaded onto my truck! that awsome!! is it adjustable? or is it on all the time?
If you purchase a tune I would assume (I'm pretty sure) you will not be able to alter that tune or change.

I will assume at some point there will be some free tunes 'or starters' that you will be able to customize that people will share.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you purchase a tune I would assume (I'm pretty sure) you will not be able to alter that tune or change.

I will assume at some point there will be some free tunes 'or starters' that you will be able to customize that people will share.

Enjoy!
First off, NOBODY TAKE THIS AS A BASH OF THIS PRODUCT. I have delayed buying one of the 'normal' programers because of EFILive. I am well aware of the power of this software, and its ability to data-log, etc., but I thought that part of its appeal was the ability to share tune files with others.

The question is... if these 'kickin' tunes are proprietary, and must be purchased, then, in a sense, we will have come full-circle and EFILive has turned the average folk into the latest wave of tuners, selling their locked tunes to anyone who will buy them. And will Ross and his crew get a cut of said sale, since his software made it possible for these 'kickin' tunes to be developed by others? The plot thickens... it does. Cheers.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I would say no EFI is selling the software period.Some guys will devote hours of time and dyno runs perhaps track times to back up their tuning.For this they may want compensation.

Others will get lucky or develop tunes the are willing to share that you can build off of comparing to your stock tunes and what was done to enhance.

Just be weary of people pirating a starting point,that is wrong !

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
The question is... if these 'kickin' tunes are proprietary, and must be purchased, then, in a sense, we will have come full-circle and EFILive has turned the average folk into the latest wave of tuners, selling their locked tunes to anyone who will buy them.

Few of us are talking about ways to "napster" ize.

Looks like you will have profiteering group, and the "in the spirit of the hobby" group. You can see it shaping up on this forum. A hobbyist myself. Many others share my enthusiasm, and don't plan to lock tunes.

We just need to organize.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
The reason some of us are guarded with our HIGH HP/TQ tunes is because the time/money investment we have in them.

Time is money and nothing in life is free

That being said there are many people I have helped get started with EFI-Live and have sent many more PM's and emails out to people who have wanted help/advice.

I have spent many hours on the telephone with people giving them a point in the right direction. I will continue to do so.

Part of the fun of this is the discovery of new things, the fact that you can learn from this tool if you spend the time to understand it.

The engine only requires three things to make more power:

1) Additional Fuel
2) Altered Injection Timing
3) Boost or AIR

The only secret is how much, for how long and when to deliver it all.

If you are willing to fail miserably for a while like I did and then begin to understand what changes are then needed only then you can make a lot of progress and in a short amount of time.

My last Folder Properties check for EFI-Live was 1041 files in 264 folders.

Each file is either junk, horrible, better, fair, good, better yet, very good, excellent, wow or OMG !!!!!!

I have spent 2~1/2 months on this already averaging 3++ hours at least a day. Some days I have spent the whole day on one thing trying to isolate and fix it.

So 80 days at a minimum of 3 hours a day = 240 hours. It is actually probably double that in hours.

That is just tuning, now factor in the driving time, dyno $$$$$ time etc.

Last dyno pulls I made set me back $400.00 just to see where I was and to get a realistic starting point. I made 31 unique changes one at a time on the dyno to see what they did, I learned a lot, but it did cost me 1/2 days work and $400.00 just to find out.

Now maybe people will begin to understand why I just won't "GIVE AWAY" a tune that makes the high HP/TQ.

If I choose to give away anything it is my choice to do so, and I have given tunes away.

What if I give it away and then a commercial tuner get's it and passes it along as their own work and sells hundreds or thousands of locked ECM's.........who then was the fool ????

I am not in the habit of making other people RICH !!!!

JMHO on this one, nothing personal.

T;) NY

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Now that there is people like Tony out there who have done the hard yards in learning about Diesel Tuning and using EFILive ,it is a bit unfair to expect him to offer he's in progress big power tune around for free.
There's communal spirit and then there is being sensible about your own achievements.

It is very common on the gasser tuning forums that guys like Tony offer starter tunes and advice for newbies in the spirit of the hobby but then charge a fee for a mail order tuned ECM that is beyond a certain level of power increase.

Ask yourself this, if you had spent 100's of hours developing a nice 450+ HP tune, would you consider selling it just like every other company who does mail order tuning would do?, Just because Tony doesn't run a Diesel shop does not mean he should not be allowed to make some $$ on the side by offering ECM tuning. It was only 3 or so months ago Tony had probably never heard of a Main Pulse Table, but through hours and hours of testing and logging he knows this Dmax ECM very well.

There is 3 'hobbyists' on this forum using EFILive who I can see in the future becoming very popular with the people who don't want to tackle tuning themselves or just plain hate using computers, but who want an alternative to the mail order monopoly that used to exist in the Dmax world. Top that off with the Workshops who will be tuning like crazy now they have the ability to do more than plug a box in and the consumer is going to win with a very wide range to chose from.

I certainly don't consider EFILive to be the latest fad, it is just another link in the chain for a good performance package.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
The reason some of us are guarded with our HIGH HP/TQ tunes is because the time/money investment we have in them.

Time is money and nothing in life is free

That being said there are many people I have helped get started with EFI-Live and have sent many more PM's and emails out to people who have wanted help/advice.

I have spent many hours on the telephone with people giving them a point in the right direction. I will continue to do so.

Part of the fun of this is the discovery of new things, the fact that you can learn from this tool if you spend the time to understand it.

The engine only requires three things to make more power:

1) Additional Fuel
2) Altered Injection Timing
3) Boost or AIR

The only secret is how much, for how long and when to deliver it all.

If you are willing to fail miserably for a while like I did and then begin to understand what changes are then needed only then you can make a lot of progress and in a short amount of time.

My last Folder Properties check for EFI-Live was 1041 files in 264 folders.

Each file is either junk, horrible, better, fair, good, better yet, very good, excellent, wow or OMG !!!!!!

I have spent 2~1/2 months on this already averaging 3++ hours at least a day. Some days I have spent the whole day on one thing trying to isolate and fix it.

So 80 days at a minimum of 3 hours a day = 240 hours. It is actually probably double that in hours.

That is just tuning, now factor in the driving time, dyno $$$$$ time etc.

Last dyno pulls I made set me back $400.00 just to see where I was and to get a realistic starting point. I made 31 unique changes one at a time on the dyno to see what they did, I learned a lot, but it did cost me 1/2 days work and $400.00 just to find out.

Now maybe people will begin to understand why I just won't "GIVE AWAY" a tune that makes the high HP/TQ.

If I choose to give away anything it is my choice to do so, and I have given tunes away.

What if I give it away and then a commercial tuner get's it and passes it along as their own work and sells hundreds or thousands of locked ECM's.........who then was the fool ????

I am not in the habit of making other people RICH !!!!

JMHO on this one, nothing personal.

T;) NY

:exactly:

I don't see this as a fad either, but I do see a lot of people misunderstanding how things work. There WILL be 3M files (those into dish know this term) out there I am sure. Some will be very good, some not so good. I would not expect someone with a serious investment in time to just give you a polished high HP tune. Myself as well as others will offer starter tunes to show what things are changed in general.

The idea behind EFI Live is to give the user the ability to control and write his own tunes. Writing a tune (from scratch) that kicks *** and is smooth to drive carries with it a feeling of satisfaction that is simply priceless...

Now go out and :grd:

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
Yes, and Jones-ing for more with the Allison!

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Writing a tune (from scratch) that kicks *** and is smooth to drive carries with it a feeling of satisfaction that is simply priceless...

Now go out and :grd:

:exactly: I started by modifying tunes I had. Now I am slowly building my own tune. It does take a lot of time. I'm no where near perfecting it yet. It is a work in progress. I have not shared any of my personal tunes because I don't want to blow anyones truck up while I am learning. I would feel horrible if that were to happen. I'm not going to start selling tunes. I'll probably send my final tune to Tony, Trippin, and Kennedy when I'm done to see if they can give me some feedback on it. Then I'll share it. The beauty of this product is that we all, resources or not, have the ability to help each other. Hopefully our tunes will push these trucks even further for all to see. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Hypothetically then, it wouldn't be out of line to ask someone to create a purely stock tune (no power upgrades) for a guy that only wanted the Speed Limiter removed on an '01? Or, maybe a Speed Limiter removal and a tire size change? Hypothetically of course. :D
JP

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
costs the same. Every vehicle ID is another $100 to the person doing it.
Oh, I see. I guess I don't understand the liscensing of the EFI stuff yet. I thought if you bought the software/hardware you were able to program unlimited vehicles. What do Diesel Shop guys do? Do they have to pay a 100 bucks everytime they work on a different truck? Or are there multiple licsense options like computer desktop software....you know a one user licsense, 3 user, facility wide, etc.?
JP

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Cool. I was thinkin' that purty soon one of these guys might wanna offer something like the basic stuff. The niche would be all the guys that already bought a tuner and it can't address some of the changes the owner would like. I for one have the Banks OTTO Mind (70hp tune non-adjustable) in my '01 and it's plenty for now. I also bought a used Predator to read DTC's & tire size change, but it won't do speed limiter removal. It would be way better if I just had one tune to address tire size change and speed limiter removal and not interfere with the Banks stuff and for that matter be somewhat discrete to the GM tech that may be checking stuff. For the record, I ain't gonna be blastin' down the highway in excess of 100 mph, especially with my trailer on, but there is something about having a "LIMITER" that bugs me. Anyways, it would be nice.
JP

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
Simple stuff like speed changes is cheap. Just stop on by is the best way...

P.S. The second mortgage was used for Superflow upgrades to a tune of about 2x the list cost of the Workshop version. The pucker factor on insuring the SF sensor box is QUITE high.:eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts