Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crawling around under my truck I noticed a few things that don't sit well w/ me.

1st the drive shaft bracket/protector is scratched up:

2nd the front diff has a chip in the housing:

Yes the above pic's are crying over spilt milk but the price we pay it should be perfect.

3rd this bracket/skidplate(?) under the front diff looks like it's missing a bracket and or bolts on the rear end of it. Is this the way it should be?

Speaking of skid plates. If you buy the skid plate option do you only get ONE aluminum skid plate? Besides the plastic one in the very front. See pic:

What is this radiator looking thing right infront of the gas tank:

What is this pan/bracket looking thing under the bed on the front end/drivers side? Looks similar to a battery holder.

Next this flap under the front bumper in the center seems to be kind of hanging there, not real secure. Is this normal?

Near the plug to plug in your trailer wiring/plug there is a single plug w/ a cap over it. What is this for

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Couple more questions:

1. My interior is dark grey yet the headliner is a very light grey. Is this normal? It also seems to not be secured very well in the middle (near the dome light).

2. The front lower valance (sp?) that has the fog lights in it is also light grey. On some of the pic's I have seem they are black. if my exterior color is dark grey why did I get a light colored valance?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Hope you not get the truck from the Problem Child?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It looks like you have a CC/LB 4WD

On pictures 3, 4, 5, & 6

Here you go;

3. That's how mine is.

4. Yep, that is the only Al one. Wait til you change the oil. Oh boy, is that fun. Do yourself a favor and get a Fumoto drain valve or a Fram Sure-Drain. Otherwise, plan on removing the skid plate or cleaning up oil.

5. That is your Diesel Fuel cooler. That cools the returning fuel due to heat buildup from EDU and other things. Diesel supplement explains cleaning periodically.

6. I posted a picture just like that when I noticed it on mine. One of the guys recognized it as an Evaportive canister bracket used by gassers. Use that puppy for what ever you want. It's a freebie.

7. Never looked that close, but if I remember correctly, that's the way mine is.

8. Don't know for sure, I have to look at mine.

As for pics 1 and 2, I never noticed but I'm sure they getted nicked form time to time.

I noticed you have the Al. driveshaft. Nice! Mine are steel and they rusted just looking at them.

For the fit and finish stuff, find a dealer with a good service dept. They'll take care of you.

As far as diff lub levels. I've read here somewhere that GM factory loads are low by design. I just don't remember why.

As DMAX Tim told me, "Get out from under your truck and Drive it!"

Congrats on your new addition by the way.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,

Thanks for the reply :)

Mine is a short bed.

Also why does the driveshaft sound hollow?

Thanks again,

MikeEdited by: Mike330R

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Sorry, I just guessed based on the parts look the same.

The driveshaft sounds hollow bcause it is hollow. Not much strength gain on a solid driveshaft and that sucker would be heavy.

It's best to always keep the rotating mass to a minimum.

On your last 2 questions I can't help you. My interior is pewter(med gray). And my front air dam is black if I remember.

Sorry, I have been working on waxing my wife's Grand Cherokee (Silver) for her birthday and I'm only seeing gray outer parts.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mike,

All driveshafts are hollow....

I'll be getting mine in 2 weeks, I'll be looking mine over closely too! Mine was built on a Thursday. I'm really happy about that....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mike330R

I looked at your pic and I like the lower valance, and I think a black truck looks great but, real tough to keep clean.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Mike,

IIRC, all the headliners are the same color, because I looked at all three available interior colors before selecting the Pewter for mine. I've not noticed any particular looseness in the headliner, but it's a big area and GM doesn't spend any money on things they don't absolutely have to.

As far as the "valance" you are referring to, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Is your's a Bowtie? Mine's a GMC so the front end is different from the Chevrolet.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the Valance is the plastic part below the front bumper. The fog lights are mounted in it.

I's rather have a dark colored one.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Mine's white like the rest of the truck and all the GMC's I looked at on dealer lots had that part matching the color of the truck. But I did not look at trucks the color of yours, so that may not be valid as a comparison.

Since those parts are put on at final assembly and not painted with the rest of the truck, it's entirely possible there was a mixup at the plant. Have you looked at, or found other trucks painted the same color as your's? Did they have matching colors on that part?

I've seen Chevy's come in with GMC emblems and vice versa, so I wouldn't rule that out until I found other trucks the same color and compared them.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not seen any other truck the same color as mine yet.

I will ask at the dealer tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Mike330R,

I have a white truck and my lower valance piece is a medium gray color. I've really not looked that close before at other trucks, but it seems like the ones I have noticed were this medium gray color.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Mike,

I just looked at the Battalion Chiefs '04 Bowtie, it's white and the lower valance part is light grey.

Looks like the factory did it intentionally, 'nother money saver I'm sure.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The wire with cap near the trailer wiring plug is for the brake light on a topper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts