Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to replace the fender flares on a 2006 2500HD? Just pull the plastic plugs and replace them after the new flare is in place? Didn't look too tough when I was putting on the mud flaps, but would like to here from someone who has done it, so I don't screw something up.

Thanks!

Curt

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Yep, it's just that simple. There is also 2 sided tape holding them to the side of the truck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume you can use the original plastic plugs, or do you need to get new ones?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
You can use the old ones if you dont wreck them when removing. These are the same clips that hold the fenderwell liner in also. I keep 10 or so of these around just in case i happen to wreck one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MaxPower,

Is it special 2 sided tape, or can you use any 2 sided tape? Do I need to get from dealer or autobody shop?

Thanks,

Curt

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Probably just a good quality 3m tape I imagine. I would either get it from an autobody or make sure it is for an automotive aplication.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply's! I'll post pic's when they are installed.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
It's a double-sided foam tape.
You can use the old ones if you dont wreck them when removing. These are the same clips that hold the fenderwell liner in also. I keep 10 or so of these around just in case i happen to wreck one.
They are? I removed my flares and did not put the clips back in. No problems. Are they the same clips, or same kind of clips?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
It's a double-sided foam tape.They are? I removed my flares and did not put the clips back in. No problems. Are they the same clips, or same kind of clips?
Actually....its not better to use 3M double sided mounting tape, than "foam" tape......the foam tape is too thick to get a nice tight fit to the fender....this of course is my opinion and yours may vary by state.....;) :D

I tried foam tape and there was a huge gap between the fender and flare

·
Registered
586 Posts
The new flares that I bought and had painted to match the truck came with the tape on them already. It is NOT foam tape. That would be waaay to thick.

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
Its special double-sided 3M emblem tape...you can find it at most autoparts stores. I think you can get it in 1/2, 3/4 or 1 inch widths

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
XT, my truck came with the black "pebble finish" flares. Removing them was my first mod. They DO have foam tape on them. It is a thin foam tape, but it is foam tape

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Actually....it is better to use 3M double sided mounting tape, than "foam" tape......the foam tape is too thick to get a nice tight fit to the fender....this of course is my opinion and yours may vary by state.....;) :D

I tried foam tape and there was a huge gap between the fender and flare

Fixed my mistake.....:eek::

Like I said, your opinion may vary, like Censored holes everyones got 'em...

but in my experience the foam was to thick.....:cool:

The stuff I am talking about is the same as Tom is talking about, really the only way to go.......3M is proven...:exactly:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate all the feedback. I'm still waiting on GM Partdirect to ship the flares. I will post pic's after getting them on.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
is the part number at gmpartsdirect.com for a pair or each

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is for a pair. Been waiting for warmer weather as instructions say 65* to put them on. I'lll let you know how it goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts