Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might as well make a thread that is muffler centralized cause there's just to many option for mufflers out there!

What you like? Stock Dual, Y pipe to Single?

Favorite Muffler for Dual or Single?

Currently have my Gasser(sbc 350) still in the truck, 2.5 duals into Flowmaster 40's, Under bed turn towns before axles.
I hate it. It's not a bogger, it's not a big block, it's a work truck, so I hate that is sounds like a dam nascar haha

My goal is to make the 6.2L breathe as much as possible but also as quiet as I an get. So far I'm sold on Large Turbo Mufflers. Dynomax 17748 looks like it would work for me. Keeping dual exhaust with stock after tire side exit tail pipes too.
I wouldn't mind a sweet single exhaust set up, but my 84' K2500 has nice 2.5 duals tucked into the frame rails, save the money, keep the duals is my thinking...

i.e. In the near future I'm going to run to homedepot to buy a ton of roof insulation repair tape and sound proof the Cab to quiet the cab down.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you going to turbo it?

My 6.2 is notably quieter exhaust wise then my 350 was. I have it straight piped and it's pretty tame (no nascar). You might find your existing setup gives you a nice tone even with the 40s.

The clatter under the hood is a different story.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No sights really to turbo.

Talked to a few exhaust shops in town to see what they recommend/charge. Plan so far is 2.5" y - pipe, collect right after transfer-case passenger side, 3" straight out the back. All new pipe + install, $400. Is that fair???

·
Administrator
21,803 Posts
No sights really to turbo.

Talked to a few exhaust shops in town to see what they recommend/charge. Plan so far is 2.5" y - pipe, collect right after transfer-case passenger side, 3" straight out the back. All new pipe + install, $400. Is that fair???
That sounds about right to me

Reactions: steeliesforlife84

·
Registered
1984 GMC K1500
34 Posts
I’m building a new 3” setup for my Banks equipped truck. Just doing a single this time, as it spilt into 2-1/2” duals after the t-case before

·
Registered
331 Posts
With no turbo, you're original plan was fine.
Magnaflow or borlas would be a good upgrade choice.
Small cast manifolds and small valves limit the rear exit sounds making work easy for mufflers on 6.2 diesels. If you had headers on the sbc it probably contributed and the extra 1500 rpm...

·
Whistle Pigs Are Cool
2,478 Posts
My exhaust shop had an option to build the 6.2na either 3" single or true duals in 2.5". They did 2.5" duals with Magaflow mufflers. HOLY SH!T was that setup way too loud. Uncomfortably loud. No cool loud. Embarrassingly loud.
They removed them and installed "turbo" style mufflers. I added Banks turndown tips and it's a good exhaust sound at higher rpms.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
79 C30 Crew 6.2
24 Posts
Mine has dual 2.5" pipes with 24" glass packs(left over from when it still had a 350). Most of the time, the exhaust is barely noticeable over the engine clatter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts