Diesel Place banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '03 Duramax Diesel 2500 HD (175K now)... began doing the same thing as described about 5 years ago. Now need some help/input from others here before spending yet more, or maybe just getting some idea of what to say/ask/look for when I DO take it in (again!).
Alarmed by the pressure reading zero those many years ago, I pulled over to find my oil level was correct. This all seemed to happen after the engine got warmed up, would always start with a normal reading, and drop to the pin after warming up. After 'living with it' a few months, was even more alarmed to see the needle resting against the pin on the right side!
At that point took it in, had the cluster pulled and sent off for repair, didn't work. Mechanic installed a mechanical gauge (which only ended up costing me $600)... and "said" he'd disconnected the cluster gauge. Always read zero after that point, mechanical gauge under dash works fine.
Well... four years out from THAT point, I'm on the road - I use this truck to haul around my 5th - and I look down at the cluster and oil gauge is reading at 50%. WTF? Alarmed I pulled over...mechanical gauge is reading as normal, oil level is correct. I'd had the injectors replaced just prior to this... called the shop to ask if they'd done anything/reconnected anything during their repair, that might have caused this.. they said no. Benefit of the doubt, as I'm very limited on skill here.
So, here I am again "living with it" as that gauge has a reading, doesn't have a reading, moves around here and there. Disconcerting, but no cause for alarm at this point, right? Wrong! About three weeks later, driving without the RV and off goes the OIL PRESSURE LOW alarm. Pull over, mechanical reading normal, oil level correct... alarm does not start after turning engine over again, but does half a mile down the road. Then stops. Then starts again. Lasts 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 20 minutes at a time... and if you've never heard the OIL PRESSURE LOW alarm sound... it is ANNOYING asf. Continuous, and seems a bit louder than the "key in ignition" alarm.
So I'm on the road and the best thing I can do is disconnect the radio to stop the noise... couldn't drive 1400 miles home to figure it out. Did take it in for a look-see in Florence OR, but mechanic could not figure out why it might be doing it, other than to recommend ANOTHER pull and repair of the cluster.
So guys... here's where I'm at. Everything else on the cluster is working okay. I have a mechanical gauge that works fine. I figure need to have the alarms for anything else that should go wrong... but I can't live with this intermittent and sometimes very long lasting, noise. How do I disable/remove/reconfigure or "fool" the oil pressure sensor that's 'effing up'?
Thanx for any help or input you can offer.

·
Administrator
20,260 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts