Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post here & i have a few questions( sorry if the have been covered before) First off i have a 2003 with 50,000

I have noticed that over the past few weeks

1. Sometime when I start the truck the gauges will stay at zero, i then will turn off, remove key and restart, this will normally correct the problem.

2. There is a single tic or click sound comming from the engine compartment, i have noticed it while driving and it happens every 15- 20 seconds.
Any Ideas on either of these problems?? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
94 Posts
There is a TSB out for the gauge cluster problem. My truck is at the dealer getting that and a new fuel filter housing (Mine has a small leak and I have to prime every couple of days to start.) The gauge thing is caused by low voltage from at least 1 battery. They can flash the truck computer to make everything work with the low voltage, but you may want to get the batteries checked before you end up stuck somewhere with a truck that will not start. One of my batteries was at 12.2 volts after the load test, but the other one would only do ~ 11.2 after a load test. I replaced both.

As for the tick, I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
have your batteries load tested. one or both are probably bad. i had the same problem.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
the tic, at idle is normal, from what i have heard

·
Registered
775 Posts
Go Below, did you ever get the gauge problem figured out? im having the same issue with mine latley and it seems to happen mostly when its cold out and i either first start up or shut down the truck when its not fully warmed up then start up again so weak batteries sounds like it could be the problem. at first i thought it might have to do with my hypertech but its happened now with the hypertech tune and the factory tune. mines an 03 with 98k and i think the batteries are probably original so ill have to get them tested.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
just went down this road myself during a recent cold spell, put the batteries on the charger and all was good again. Not replacing the batteries any sooner than I have to though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
are you sure the click/tick is from the engine compartment. There is a TSB for a tick type noise from the passengerside dash area that has to do with the heater air duct doors not closing and the motor keeps hunting or trying to close them. Probably not the problem, just thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My 02 LB7 has this tick sound coming from the engine too. Sounds like it is coming from the lower passenger side of the engine bay.

·
Registered
361 Posts
foreman00081;1612855; said:
Go Below, did you ever get the gauge problem figured out? im having the same issue with mine latley and it seems to happen mostly when its cold out and i either first start up or shut down the truck when its not fully warmed up then start up again so weak batteries sounds like it could be the problem. at first i thought it might have to do with my hypertech but its happened now with the hypertech tune and the factory tune. mines an 03 with 98k and i think the batteries are probably original so ill have to get them tested.
Yepp. Sounds about like its time too. I just replaced mine about a week ago. 03 95,300miles on them.. I went with interstate green tops.. No problems so far.. Seems to crank harder actually.

-Shutta

·
Registered
189 Posts
The tick might be the airconditioning compressor clutch engaging on and off with a fairly regular rhythm. The air conditioner is turned on if you have the airflow selector on 'defrost', to dry the incoming air. Try moving the selector to 'floor vents' and see if the ticking stops.
If thats what it is, you must have good ears if you can hear it over the Dmax!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the tip (AC clutch) I have ruled that out. The noise that I hear is not a conistant noise like the ac clutch. It sounds more like a pre-ignition condition.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Do a search for pilot injection, see if that is what you are hearing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
gauge cluster problem

hey there just new into this forum well first off i have a 03 dmax sierra with 111,000 miles and its been solid but just yesterday the truck died on me in the middle of a busy intersection and a message came on the dash saying battery not charging. well i figured that it was the alternator so i towed it home and took out the batteries and charged them and put them back in the truck and it started right up no problem next thing i did was pulled the alternator and had it tested and it tested fine went and had both batts pulled and load tested them and they were both toast so i bought 2 new interstates black tops well now with both of them replaced trucks starts great only one problem now i have is when the truck is cold the gauges do not work nothing shows up not even the odemeter nothing whole thing is dead but within 30 seconds you hear one tick and everything lights up and everything is normal again just wondering if any one has any help thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dido about the batteries. I also had the same problem. I disconnected the batts and measured them separate. One measured low so I replaced it and it has been fine since. I thought the truck was spinning over normal till I replaced the weak battery, WOW what a differance.
THANKS TO A FORUM MEMBER REPLY

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been having the guage problem as well. Only on cold starts, I have to turn the key off then on again and it'll work most of the time. Sometimes I have to do it repeatedly before they'll work. As far as a previous post talking about his guages coming back after 30 seconds or so...mine has really dim dash lights and head lights with the ammeter reading low until about 30 seconds then everything brightens up and the guage slowly starts showing a charge. Guess it's about time for me to change batts too, AC Delco originals with 106k on them, i'd say its getting there. I'm gonna go with some YellowTop Optimas from work, I can get them for half the price people normally sell them for. Or interstates :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't put optimas in anything w/ a diesel engine. We have some in our smaller fire trucks and they haven't work well at all. We had to go back to the lead batteries and everythung seems to work well again. I have an optima in my 71 Bronco and it works great for that but in my diesel ill stick with good ol' lead.

·
Registered
53 Posts
off to dealer

well im off to the dealer today to see what they have to say about this problem maybe there is a TSB out I thought it would get better now that were getting into the high 30s if i find anything out I will post my results

1 - 17 of 17 Posts