Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My 2005 Silverado 2500HD fuel gauge is working but not reliable. It shows any amount it wants to. I have replaced sending unit in tank 6 months ago. On a full tank it can show empty and low fuel light comes on. It can show half a tank from full in 15 minutes of driving. I added an additional ground wire coming from sending unit with no success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
17,865 Posts
If the low fuel light comes on with a full tank, it's either the intank sending unit, or the wiring to it.
The computer(s) have no idea where the actual gauge needle is (no feedback from the stepper motors), so if the low fuel lamp comes on with a full tank, the signal is dropping out.

·
Administrator
15,999 Posts
My 2005 Silverado 2500HD fuel gauge is working but not reliable. It shows any amount it wants to. I have replaced sending unit in tank 6 months ago. On a full tank it can show empty and low fuel light comes on. It can show half a tank from full in 15 minutes of driving. I added an additional ground wire coming from sending unit with no success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Welcome
Thread moved over to "Electrical"

:thumb:

Reactions: tyoungedyke

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Fuel level sensor in the rear tank.You can check the resistance of the rear tank sender and see.
The LLY uses a fuel level sensor that ranges from 250 Ohms EMPTY to 40 Ohms FULL. The LLY already uses the new, more robust, fuel sender.
Light Truck 19148811
19148811 ACDelco SK1221 $120
SENSOR KIT, Fuel Tank Meter/Pump
SENSOR KIT,FUEL LEVEL(INCLUDES 4)(INCLUDES SEAL)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Been having this problem on my LML but only on cold mornings. Watched a long youtube explanation of the circuit that's noted above and how it works and went to the hardware store and bought 20' of #14 wire, put one end on my battery negative post and the other end on the "ground stud" under the front of the drivers side truck bed, where the CP4 pump is grounded (I believe) and it worked for the 1st time 'COLD' in 3 days. Will now install the wire in some chase when it warms up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts