Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if any one knows if a fast
idle is required to keep the motor and heater running
warm during cold temperatures. I live in Calgary Alberta Can. I have just bought a
Duramax. I have been told that it will do nothing but good
and prolong the life of the motor. I will be leaving the
truck idling on occasions during the winter.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I don't know if it is "required", but it helps even down here in Texas. In your situation, I would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
the rock said:
I would like to know if any one knows if a fast
idle is required to keep the motor and heater running
warm during cold temperatures. I live in Calgary Alberta Can. I have just bought a
Duramax. I have been told that it will do nothing but good
and prolong the life of the motor. I will be leaving the
truck idling on occasions during the winter.

Hi Bill, I also live in cowtown.
I'am getting ready to do my install of the high idle. I've looked at the different way's that are out there and I will be doing the high idle without a switch. Now if GM will just get my terminals I'll be all set to go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This has been covered several times on PUTC. The 2003 models have a Power Takeoff servo. There were diagrams of it, and indicating which electrical terminals to use and how to hook them up. The 2001 and 2002 trucks do not have this feature. When hooked up that way, you can use the cruise control button to activate high idle. If I remember right there were three speed settings, like 900 rpms, 1100 rpms, and 1300 rpms.

And they do not recommend leaving them idle for long periods of time at a slow idle. My truck sits inside, and I have the two piece cold weather front. Most of the time, I would simply start the truck, and for the first mile keep the rpms low, after that, I would drive it at normal speed. Within two miles it was throwing heat, but took up to four miles to get it up to normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yeah In every big truck I have been in...contrary to what I thought...Pretty much states hit on the fast idle asap when started in cold temps. Our Cat 3126 idles up automatically in under 20 degree weather she'll idle up ta 900-1000 after 30 seconds of running. I let my Dmax run for 1 min and hit her right upto my highest HI setting of 1150(programmed with TII). I think the settings are 1100-1400 on 02-03 trucks? Put it in its pretty easy..Ive done about 4 installs so far. Still yet havent done ODLO (overdrivelockout)

Slap it in

The terminals needed should be in stock at most stealerships

1 - 5 of 5 Posts