Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some instruction on how to wire my truck up for fast idle and what it is benefiting. Another question, about how long does it take to change out my fuel injectors?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Fast idle is for sitting and idling for an extended period of time. Or could be used for more alternator output and other add on accessories to the truck.

Not much longer than it takes to get the old ones out and put the new ones in.

It's hard to say how long it will actually take, but for the easy route take the inner fender off on the passenger side.

To do it right you need to pull the intake manifold to keep from bending the fuel lines.

It all depends on which shortcuts you take.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Now how do I mod my truck so I can get it to fast idle. Any website that tells me how to do it or if anyone has done this on there own truck.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
john kennedys website has some pretty detailed instructions kennedydiesel.com or you might be able to search on this forum for instructions

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Z79outlaw. I'll check it out today.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I know my 1993 6.5 has a fast idle solenoid. It's just a solenoid that pushes on a piece of linkage on the injection pump. When the temps are low the solenoid pushes the linkage until the engine is a little warmed up. It only uses 1 wire so it should be easy enough to put on another motor... as long as you can rig up some kind of mount and a piece of linkage for it to push.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
donniej;1575764; said:
I know my 1993 6.5 has a fast idle solenoid. It's just a solenoid that pushes on a piece of linkage on the injection pump. When the temps are low the solenoid pushes the linkage until the engine is a little warmed up. It only uses 1 wire so it should be easy enough to put on another motor... as long as you can rig up some kind of mount and a piece of linkage for it to push.
Won't work with EFI trucks...

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
The EFI trucks use a resistor bank to pump up the volume, just like an old radio amplifier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the Kennedy website is the one I was looking for. I am going to do it next week when I get a chance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts