Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about a fass system, I hear a lot of cummins guys talk about them. Anybody have any info on them, and are they worth it? How much do they run? Like I said any info would be good, Thanks, -NICK-

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I just installed my FASS system last weekend. The install is fairly easy and the newer pumps are very quiet. I had one on my dodge for 30ish k miles with out an issue.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Mines working well so far, only bad part is you can't run the fuel tank below 1/3 of a tank or you suck the fuel cup dry and pull air into the fuel lines.

Or you have to turn it off to run below 1/3 tank, luckily it's a flow thru design.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Mines working well so far, only bad part is you can't run the fuel tank below 1/3 of a tank or you suck the fuel cup dry and pull air into the fuel lines.

Or you have to turn it off to run below 1/3 tank, luckily it's a flow thru design.

Which FASS to you have the 95 or the 150?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I should also mention that you have to tie into the fuel filler tube so the pump can return the excess fuel to the tank, which is under debate as to weather it causes more air to be mixed in with the fuel as the fuel falls back into the tank.

Are you looking at the pump filter assembly or just the pump ?

If it wasn't for the filter set up I probablly wouldn't go with the pump again, it does cost a few bucks and there are other pump's on the market now that work with out having to watch your fuel guage.

You can look into TTS or Kennedy's or Super Diesel's, some are running Holley pumps too but I don't know about the life span.

DD

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would you recomend Diesel Dragon. I'm Just tryin to get Idea's to get more power, and I hear a lot of talk about fass systems up here from the dodge guys

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The FASS works good at what it does, it just does too much by sucking so much fuel out of the tank that you could get air in it below 1/3 of a tank.

If your concerned about getting the last of your fuel out of the tank between fill ups than it won't work very well for you.

Here's a link to a similar thread on this page:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68912

Here's John's site: http://kennedydiesel.com/

Here's Steve's site: http://ttspowersystems.com/accessories.htm

Here's Mike's site: https://ssl.perfora.net/www.superdi...nid=15440cc70eb7e79/shopdata/index.shopscript

They all offer a good product and I really haven't seen any complaints about any of them, but I haven't installed any of them either, they all support this site, and I would say you can't go wrong with any of them.

Just look over the info and see what works best for you.

If you use the "search" function you should be able to find more info on them if you want.

DD

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I have the TTS system on my truck and it works great. The FASS systems are good, and you should only need the 95 GPH system. Diesel Dragon why did you go with the 150? Was it the bigger is better syndrome?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
It's your money spend it the way you would like and I'm not putting down any system but the Fass also adds heat to the fuel.

I don't understand why anyone would need that much volume when so much is just being returned to the tank. :confused:

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I Diesel Dragon why did you go with the 150? Was it the bigger is better syndrome?
That was part of it, but also I got mine over a year ago and nobody was talking about the FASS sucking the cup dry. The big debate was wether or not the FASS removed entrained air like it said it did. And the great debate between the FASS and his dad's Air Dog legal fight's over the patent.
Plus I like the fact that it had a filter and Water seperator built in.
It's a good setup just not for our fuel tanks.

I don't understand why anyone would need that much volume when so much is just being returned to the tank. :confused:
There was more to it than just that Mac for the reasons I mentioned above.

Like the old saying goes "If I knew then what I know now" things would be diffrent.

Live and learn I guess.

DD

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I have the TTS system on my truck and it works great.
I like the TTS too but his dual pump setup is rated according to Steve's web site for up to 450 hp.

I have Steve's Extreme program so it should be making more HP than that. so does that mean I'm already too big for his dual pump setup ?

I have been waiting for the next stage that he was talking about but nothing's out yet.

So I'll live with this for now and keep filling up when I get near 1/2 tank.

Plus I have a seperate toggle switch for the FASS so I can just shut it off if I want to go below that.

I checked my fuel vacum/pressure with one of Kennedy's new fuel vacum/pressure guages at the test port and with the pump on I have about 7.5 psi and with the pump off I have about 3.5" of vacum at idle and my filters are a little dirty.
One FASS pump, one FASS fuel filter and fuel/water seperator, Nick's CAT filter setup, plus the new dual pleat factory filter is a lot for the factory pump to draw thru but it does it like a champ.

DD

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I am also running the Extreme, and his dual pump setup builds pressure when I get on it instead of loosing pressure. I have a fuel PSI gauge plumbed in just after the factory filter. I had a Holley Red (RIP), and then a Stanadyne FS 100. Both of those did not keep up with the demand. I have a feeling that something bigger may be needed if we get to the point where we run twin CP3 pumps or something like that. For now they work great.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It's your money spend it the way you would like and I'm not putting down any system but the Fass also adds heat to the fuel.

Where did you get the info about the FASS adding heat?

·
Registered
521 Posts
We have 4 fass's on 4 duramax's only one truck has the starting issue when low.Our race truck has one got the job done .The other units will also perform quite well .NLDP

·
Registered
809 Posts
We have 4 fass's on 4 duramax's only one truck has the starting issue when low.Our race truck has one got the job done .The other units will also perform quite well .NLDP
agreed, have the FASS here, I know of 3 other hard fueling dmaxs running sticks with max tuning, including one that runs dual cp3s and monster injectors. If you can not guess who that is heres a hint 'bent rods'.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I am also running the Extreme, and his dual pump setup builds pressure when I get on it instead of loosing pressure. I have a fuel PSI gauge plumbed in just after the factory filter. I had a Holley Red (RIP), and then a Stanadyne FS 100. Both of those did not keep up with the demand. I have a feeling that something bigger may be needed if we get to the point where we run twin CP3 pumps or something like that. For now they work great.
What are you seeing for pressure readings? Idle, before second pump kicks in,etc.

TIA

·
Registered
419 Posts
Keep in mind that the Dodge guys have always had problems with fuel pressure, and thats how the injection pump stay lubricated. Hence no or low fuel pressure no lube, injection pump no worky, go BOOM! Then hand over 2k for another lift pump and injection pump.

We are getting great feedback from customers with the FASS high pressure pump kits. No filters, just a high pressure pump and big line kit. Could be something to look at if the standard FASS system is just too much.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
What are you seeing for pressure readings? Idle, before second pump kicks in,etc.

TIA
I will see 0 PSI at an idle since I got one of the early kits. My oil PSI is lower at idle, but as soon as I lean a little on the pedal the pressure goes to 3. That is the first pump kicking in. Then when I hit 10 pounds of boost it jumps up to 6 plus when the second pump turns on. The newer kits have the oil pressure reading adjusted lower so the first pump kicks in sooner.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I should also mention that you have to tie into the fuel filler tube so the pump can return the excess fuel to the tank, which is under debate as to weather it causes more air to be mixed in with the fuel as the fuel falls back into the tank.
The return line is what returns the Air and fuel back to the Tank. The Fuel Sloshing around in the tank will aerate the fuel more than the return line will. AND the FASS is more than capable of removing said air.

We have our 2 patents and AirDog has theirs.

Added heat to the fuel is not an issue from any of the trucks we are on. Yes the pump gets hot...but the fuel doesn’t stay in the pump long enough to be "overheated". We actually keep IP's/CP3s cooler due to our volume that runs through the pump (Unused, bypassed fuel).

A 1/2" suction tube kit is going to be released very soon for yalls D-Max's! We have been working on it!

I don’t know if the CP3 Mods are a go on your trucks...but for the 3rd Gen Dodge boys, they are needed higher pressure with volume for all the different stages of pumps. We are going to have "custom" Pumps to do that. We are finding this CP3 is a hungry lil bugger!
:lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.