Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used the fass fuel system upgrade on thier max ?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
how do you guys lke that system could you give a little review of it

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
There has been nearly 2 years of discussion and issues with the FASS. Do a Search for "FASS" and you will see. Personally, I don't see it doing anything beneficial for a Bosch HPCR system other than filtering. Entrained air (being compressible) is a big deal for a mechanical injection system like the 6.5TD GM diesel, but not for the Bosch. The system also causes a fuel starvation problem at low tank levels (1/4 tank) and engine stalls by evacuating the fuel tank pickup bucket.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I like it pretty well. It definitly starves for fuel when I get under 1/4 tank. I have learned to live with it. I just fill up when it gets there. If you search you will find alot of people hate it. I did notice that the truck smokes more when it is set on kill so I figure it gets more fuel.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
how do you guys lke that system could you give a little review of it

Yes I installed one, I agree with what Chatter said. I have never experienced mine quiting due to de-fueling when I was getting on it, but it is said to be a common problem. I did have mine quit once in Montana when I had everything turned up and I was slowing down going down a big hill. At the time I was preparing for a pull-off in Montana with Kennedy and Motovet. Kennedy told me about the potential problem with low fuel with the FASS and since I only had less than a quarter of a tank, I headed down to the local station to get some more fuel. I was really romping on it and going through the gears trying to get the tranny smarter with all the increased power before I tied on to that 10,000 lb trailer and started up the mountain with it. It died on the way, but when I was coasting not full throttle, not sure it was due to the FASS, but probably. It is also very expensive, and difficult to mount if you have a CC shortbed. I ended up having to fab a new mounting bracket so I could mount it in the driver side rear wheel well forward of the tire and fender brace. It is also very noisy. Sounds like an old washing machine at times and doesn't seem to matter what fuel level is in the tank. Not sure I would install another one. I'd check with some of the venders listed here before I went out and bought one if you haven't already. Kennedy sells lift pumps I know. What exactly is your fuel problem?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so just a new pump like the tts is beter or what is reccomended?

·
Registered
571 Posts
On edit. My truck never died yet it just missed and sputtered a few times.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Had one on my Dodge because it was needed, but there customer service STINKS:mad: :mad: !! After dealing with them I would NEVER BUY A FASS AGAIN:mad: . Just call and try to get a tech question answered, they have no tech people. They just dump all the problems on there dealers. Never did get the help I needed, just worked it out on my own.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had just the opposite thought.. When I put a FASS on my dodge the pump was only set to 8psi I wanted 15 psi. I called [email protected] and the spring was here the next day. I had unstood they started asking people to go back through the dealer they purchased the FASS from as it is hard to troubleshoot truck related issues over the phone.

In fact I have a FASS unit sitting on the floor waiting to be installed on my GMC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.