Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fan is running even this winter, anytime i am outside of the truck working the fan comes on runs and runs. is this a problem? i've read a lot of people overheat, i haven't. Just curious about the fan.

Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
is the winter grill cover on? and how warm are the outside temps.
Is this after you drive the truck and it is warm, or on the first startup in the morning?

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
My fan is running even this winter, anytime i am outside of the truck working the fan comes on runs and runs.
How do you know? Idle fan activity, is nearly inaudible. Don't think you are hearing the fan. What is the mirror temp when this happens?

·
Registered
758 Posts
when my fan was running you could not talk to another person in the truck without yelling. there was no mistake knowing if it was on or off. is yours this loud? the fan does always turn with out being engaged.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I didn't give the "fan running" much thought until I went to the dealer the other day -- one of my complaints I wanted noted on the ticket was that it ran hot and I described how the fan "ran all the time in warm weather up hills". Well the service writer and the service tech obviously think I just fell off the pumpkin truck, 'cause they said these fans are supposed to run all the time!

When I picked the truck up I politely defined the normal free spinning of the fan, versus the "lock up" of the viscous clutch, and I most definately understood when the fan was "running".

So it is something one needs to ask, just 'cause some folks may not be used to this type of fan... Oteo's sounds like it was locked up all the time -- there's no mistaking that roar... :p:

·
Registered
758 Posts
the fan was locked up most the time. even running down the interstate with outside temps of 40 degrees. now that its replaced it only runs when towing. im just curious if dirtriders is just spinning or actually engaged.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No the grill cover is not on, and the outside temps vary 10-40 degrees

I think it is the fan, in idle, very loud and annoying it will turn off and on alot

killerbee - "Idle fan activity, is nearly inaudible"

Maybe I am not hearing the fan, hell I don't know, something is running and it is loud (sure sounds like a fan to me)

I just didn't know if it was supposed to do this?

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Engages on and off when it is cold out with a cold engine. Never got an answer from dealer General Motors or DP.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My fan runs on startup about 50% of the time summer or winter. At times it will run for up to five miles then quit. You can also hear it at idle and there is no doubt when it is on if standing in front or even setting in the seat. I have checked it with the engine cold and it seems to spin fairly easy which is usually a sign that it is okay. Even though it is annoying I have just gotten used to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I kind of gave up on it. Nobody could give me an answer why a fan should cycle on and off when it is below 0 and the engine is cold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts