Diesel Place banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Temps have cooled off into the low 60s here and my coolant temps pretty much never get over 180. Yesterday the fan was roaring as cruised around town with a 175 coolant temp...finally annoyed enough to schedule an appointment and start complaining until its fixed.

Potentially related, any chance an engaged fan clutch would cause a hard start? My van has always fired right up but its actually failed to fire a few time lately and seems like its hard for it to turn over at times. I can always get it to fire on a second go round but something is off. Wondering if drag from the fan if its engaged is making that initial start more difficult?

Batteries are less than a year old and in good shape.
Codes ?
Cables tight with no corrosion ? The positive end for the frame rail battery are known to corrode basically leaving you with just 1 battery.
What exactly do you mean by hard starting so I understand better ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I took a video of it this morning, trying to upload it here so you can see. All cables are in good shape with no corrosion at all. My under hood battery has somewhat stripped threads because I over tightened it when I replaced them about a year ago. Maybe that's it? Don't want to totally derail this thread so if we need to move it or if I need to start a new one then I can. I just wondered if it was possibly related to the fan being fully engaged or something.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The fan fully engaged will not cause any starting issues. You may want to start a new thread to get some better exposure and more input from others.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I took a video of it this morning, trying to upload it here so you can see. All cables are in good shape with no corrosion at all. My under hood battery has somewhat stripped threads because I over tightened it when I replaced them about a year ago. Maybe that's it? Don't want to totally derail this thread so if we need to move it or if I need to start a new one then I can. I just wondered if it was possibly related to the fan being fully engaged or something.
Not sure where you live but in MA the lower battery terminals rust away, you have to cut the plastic cover off the ends to see it.

Reactions: ShopSpecialties

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm in Oregon, we don't use salt on the roads so we don't have many corrosion issues. I just checked the cables this past weekend and they are in great shape and have zero corrosion. I suspect its a contact issue with the under hood battery then since the positive on that battery is a little stripped from over tightening due to trying to squeeze a couple extra positive leads to an Spod switch panel and installed trickle charger. Not much length on those screw in connectors to add stuff. Thanks, back to bad fan clutch programming...

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not sure where you live but in MA the lower battery terminals rust away, you have to cut the plastic cover off the ends to see it.
Yep, I had it happen to me also. Everything looked fine on the positive cable on the outside but I wiggled it a little and broke right off. Then I looked at it closely and it was all corroded just at the crimp.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I sprayed battery terminal protector and then grease inside the plastic cable end protector when I first got the van. Still holding up with Midwest winters.

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You might want to check this out: Why Not Electric Fan?
I did not see a whole lot of useful info in that thread. Len (LCAC) went electric on his conversion van and it has worked out great for him. When it comes to electric fans I think every single person should think about it before doing it to see if it would work for their application.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dealership ran the van through some tests and said the fan clutch was operating within normal peramaters.....its not but I don't have time to deal with it right now. Oh, and the intermittent no start was due to a bad starter. Don't know the life span of a starter is supposed to be but mine was 5 years and 75K miles.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Dealership ran the van through some tests and said the fan clutch was operating within normal peramaters.....its not but I don't have time to deal with it right now. Oh, and the intermittent no start was due to a bad starter. Don't know the life span of a starter is supposed to be but mine was 5 years and 75K miles.
That seems awfully short of a life for a starter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thought so myself.....it does fire right up again now so it fixed the issue but that seems like a short lifespan.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I am still on my original starter.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Looks like my fan clutch is starting to 1/2 engage again. Today AAT 90*, ECT would not go over 185* and the TC was unlocking constantly. Has quality gone down that much I now need to replace it once a year ?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
What brand you going with this time?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The Hayden 2886 is a good upgrade. Lower On temp and closer to radiator for better pull through
Stock spec has been fine for my application.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

·
Registered
64 Posts
I suspect the new one I put on about a year and a half ago is doing the same thing. I'm also experiencing points where it won't go over 185 even when its 90 out and I can hear it partially engaging and making a surging sound from time to time.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts