Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 C2500 Suburban. SSDiesel upgraded cooling kit, dual T-Stats. I have the 10 blade 20" fan. The clutch does not seem to be engaging at all. Temperature under normal driving conditions is around 190, as best as you can tell with the original gauge. When sitting at a light or refueling temperature will go up to at least 210. After I start driving it will go back to normal. Cannot hear any change in fan noise. I know these composite fans are quieter. Any suggestions on what fan clutch to use with this fan assembly. ACDelco, Hayden etc. BTW, stack is very clean, radiator is about 6 years old and there is NO BFR in the system.
Thanks

·
Administrator
16,289 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
If you have not taken the stack apart, do so. You would be surprised on how much and what can accumulate between the stack. What may look clean can fool you.
If you have the dual stats you need to make sure you have the correct AC/Delco 190* stats installed and you also need the bypass restriction fitting ( BRF) or you chance, eventually cooking your #7 & 8 cylinders and cracking the heads

·
Administrator
16,289 Posts
Here is the link to the recommended upgrade parts with numbers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply OkDually. The stack is clean. Took it apart just a while back and did a really good cleaning of everything. I will get a BFR from Leroy Diesel and most likely get an ACDELCO bolt on clutch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was having fan clutch issues. I had 2 hayden clutches die very quickly. I had a machinist make me a fan spacer for the dmax fam. This has helped tremendously with idle cooling and high rpm cooling. I have not seen my temps go over 190 even while towing 5klbs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i was told to stay away from the dual stat mod. im opted for the 96.5 or later water pump, hayden clutch, dmax fan blade. u may have to trim the lower housing just a bit on the drivers side if i remember correctly. its been 5 years and the truck runs at 190 all day!!!!!!!!!!!! just like all the guys here said it would. while i was at i put in a fuildampr and new under drive pulley and front main seal.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
On older trucks converting to the dual thermostat set up. The Cooling system needs a restrictor in the bypass hose fitting on the water pump. Did the kit come with one.? If not you can order one from Leroy Diesel. Or fab one up yourself.
The dual bypass flows too much water back to the radiator instead of the block. Which can cause higher temps.Older single stat system has a restrictor. in it . Dual stats do not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts