Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the gold camp last weekend and when I drove on the dirt road very slow so not to kick up dust, the fan was blowing dirt/dust from under the engine. I have never heard the fan kick in while climbing a grade (6.5-7%) loaded with the 11.5' camper pulling a small 2 axle trailer (6'x12') with 2 quads. Total haul and pull weight around 6000+ lbs.

With the engine cold I turned the fan and it seemed to be stiff compared to the Toyota p/u clutch fan.
I never saw more than 210* climbing the grade, but going down the back side the temp would go down to 130* at 50-55 mph. It would go back to around 190* on flat land driving.

I did a search on the fan clutches and found nothing on how much resistance a cold clutch has while turning by hand.

My concern is that the clutch is locked up all the time taking some power from the engine. Pulling the trailer did slow the truck down where I almost shifted out of direct to 2nd on the 5-speed. Speed was down to just under 40 mph compared to 50 mph with just the camper going up the grade.

RPM was above 2000 and I saw no black smoke yet I would think the gm-3 turbo was not any help. First trip using the truck in year and a half. Its been a barn queen and half the diesel fuel was at $1.79 per gallon. Don't know if that slows the engine down?

Thank you for advise and help to the question

Weasel

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would say your fan clutch is fin if you are running 190 on flat land. Maybe it is taking a little extra time to unlock after engaging fully but I wouldn't worry about that.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I just swapped out my stock fan clutch for a Hayden severe duty 2839. There was a noticeable difference in the effort to turn one or the other by hand. Obviously the new one is gonna take more effort to spin by hand. What I did do before swapping it out is start it cold and let it run 2 minutes. When I shut the truck off it came to a somewhat quick stop, the Hayden on the other hand actually stopped so fast it reversed a bit. Imagine if you will, slap your hand at an imaginary object and watch what happens. Your hand does not immediately stop but pulls back a couple inches, That's the spring in your muscles. The Hayden did the same. I'll know how it does soon, Vacation coming up but won't be able to post results till we get back. My reason for upgrading was I had turn on the heat on hills to help with cooling. I hope to do the same hills with a/c going full.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.