Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 C3500, Crew, LB, Duals, F code with 141 Block. Replaced 90% under the hood this year.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fan Pulley is cracked, and after many months of looking I found a NOS replacement. The fan clutch is really old and the blades are beat up up the ends so I thought I'd replace them as well. Any options for lighter weight or better flow without having to spend $500+? I'm not doing that. It runs good and cool and I'm fine with a replacement stock blade and new fan clutch, but if there are other options I'm all ears!

Thank you!

Jim P

·
Administrator
17,026 Posts
My Fan Pulley is cracked, and after many months of looking I found a NOS replacement. The fan clutch is really old and the blades are beat up up the ends so I thought I'd replace them as well. Any options for lighter weight or better flow without having to spend $500+? I'm not doing that. It runs good and cool and I'm fine with a replacement stock blade and new fan clutch, but if there are other options I'm all ears!

Thank you!

Jim P
The link for cooling upgrades including part numbers is listed within the 6.5L FAQ page:

The Dmax fan can be found on Rock auto, cheap

RockAuto will probably be your best source for parts

·
Premium Member
93 C3500, Crew, LB, Duals, F code with 141 Block. Replaced 90% under the hood this year.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interestingly, the blade on mine is a black steel, 6 blade fan? Thinking someone replaced the original at some point?

Reactions: Dadddyoh

·
Registered
2,884 Posts

Thank you!

Jim P
Get a hayden and dmax fan blade. I had them on my 98.

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
217 Posts
Interestingly, the blade on mine is a black steel, 6 blade fan? Thinking someone replaced the original at some point?
I have original bolt on and the clutch I will give to you.it is a 6 blade that was stock of 95
I live in central Ca around the stockton area.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Same as that on my 93 C3500 so I think it's probably original. As someone else mentioned they have the same on their 95. I also have 94 K1500 but I didn't look at that one recently.

Steve

·
Registered
175 Posts
Those 6 bladed fan blades are crap. Read through the 6.5 cooling FAQ or anywhere else that talks about cooling upgrades for the 6.5 will tell you that it doesn't pull near enough air. Since the '97+ 20" 9-bladed steel fans are no longer available, the '00 21" DMax 11-blade fans are the way to go.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Those 6 bladed fan blades are crap. Read through the 6.5 cooling FAQ or anywhere else that talks about cooling upgrades for the 6.5 will tell you that it doesn't pull near enough air. Since the '97+ 20" 9-bladed steel fans are no longer available, the '00 21" DMax 11-blade fans are the way to go.
Isn't the 11 blade the 97-00 unit and the Dmax a 9 blade steel fan?

I just glanced at parts and it looks like that's the case. Which begs the question is the Dmax 9 blade better than the 11 blade 6.5 97-00 version?

I'm also wondering whether anyone has gone all electric but since I haven't taken a serious look at the FAQ for cooling system upgrades yet so I'm not posting it out there.

What I do know is that I'm not a big fan of the fan clutches, they tend to annoy me a lot and I have high failure rate with them over time for some reason, Dodge and Chevrolet.

Steve

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's possible I got the DMax and 97-00 steel fan blade counts backwards. I have heard it opined that the steel fans are more desirable (but generally unavailable). The DMax fan is also very quiet. For the life of me, I cannot hear any difference at all in fan noise when the clutch engages.... And I really wish I could hear that.

You will find a number of opinions on here that there are no electric fans offered that provide the necessary CFMs; The electric fans simply do not have enough power. The Humvees use a hydraulic fan clutch that is controlled by a 24V solenoid. Acesneights1 did a write up some time ago comparing coolant pump, radiator, and fan clutch options. He was contemplating the Humvee approach, but considered it expensive compared to the "ready to go" options of the Hayden severe duty clutch + DMax fan. I also looked into (2-3 months ago) the possibilities of electric clutches: Warner, Horten, and Hayden make electrically activated fan clutches, but there's a bunch of homework that would need done to make sure it fits and how to get an electrical control signal to activate it when appropriate. I think the electrical activated would be the "technically ideal" arrangement, in terms of responsiveness to actual engine coolant temperature (and eliminating the time lag and precarious thermal response of thermal clutches)--but it will be more expensive. I don't know if anyone has perfected an electric arrangement. I recently installed an Edge CTS3 system on my truck, so I might possibly be able to make this work through the Edge system, but I have not looked into that yet.

Reactions: glenlloyd

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
217 Posts
Isn't the 11 blade the 97-00 unit and the Dmax a 9 blade steel fan?

I just glanced at parts and it looks like that's the case. Which begs the question is the Dmax 9 blade better than the 11 blade 6.5 97-00 version?

I'm also wondering whether anyone has gone all electric but since I haven't taken a serious look at the FAQ for cooling system upgrades yet so I'm not posting it out there.

What I do know is that I'm not a big fan of the fan clutches, they tend to annoy me a lot and I have high failure rate with them over time for some reason, Dodge and Chevrolet.

Steve
When I did the cooling upgrade for single TSTAT that id on FAQ I changed my clutch HD and fan to a 4 bolt 9 blade fan but the metal wasn't available so I purchased a plastic one from Rock

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I did the cooling upgrade for single TSTAT that id on FAQ I changed my clutch HD and fan to a 4 bolt 9 blade fan but the metal wasn't available so I purchased a plastic one from Rock
Yeah, it appears to still be available on RA...

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts