Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh great one,

Living in sunny California, and getting in the beast at 5:30am, the temp is about 60 deg.

Do I need to wait for the light to go out before starting it. The same goes for in the pm when it is 80-99 outside.

Thanks

ps: this site is a fountain of knowledge for us the "diesel challenged" folk.Edited by: kbstinky

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
You should really always wait for the wait to start light to go off before you start it. That is why they call it a wait to start light.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Max Power said:
You should really always wait for the wait to start light to go off before you start it. That is why they call it a wait to start light.
Couldnt have said it better myself. Its better to wait those few seconds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've always wondered why. Fuel washing the cylinders? My old cummins intake heater did not even come on with high ambient temps.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My "wait to start" light almost never comes on after sitting 9 hours in a parking space where the air temp is 70* +. Some days I drive the gasser and some days the diesel. Every once in a while I forget I'm in the diesel and crank the starter right after inserting the key. It always starts, but I believe its always better to pay attention to the wait to start light.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks,

You still don't really explain why. I thought it was to heat the glow plugs. Someone else said heat the air.

If I forget to wait, the truck still starts like a champ.

·
Registered
233 Posts
kbstinky said:
thanks,

You still don't really explain why. I thought it was to heat the glow plugs. Someone else said heat the air.

If I forget to wait, the truck still starts like a champ.

As the piston in a diesel engine compresses the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber, it is the heat of the compressed air that lights the fuel in a diesel engine. When the compressed air/fuel in a diesel engine are a certain temperature, the engine will start without assistance from glow plugs.
Rudolph Diesel had a great idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts