Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Great Forum, been reading for a while, first question. On my 2007.5 Duramax, the factory remote has been working fine until its started to get colder out. (-5C) It starts the truck but will turn off after couple of seconds. I tried this morning again with the remote starter while sitting in the truck and same thing, turned off after a short time, no Check engine lights came on or nothing showing any problems, truck will not remote start attempt second time, I saw this as a cause from reading previous posts. If I put the key in the ignition till the glow plug light goes off, the remote starter will then work fine. If its doing this now, it stands no chance when its -35C!! I called local dealership and they say they have never heard of this problem, go figure. As a side note, I am thinking I may get an AstroStart, if I am having problems with the factory remote would I have the same problems with an aftermarket unit?

If I would have better luck with this post in the electrical section someone can go ahead and move it there. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
I suspect there is still a code in the history. Run down to a autoparts store and see if there is a code in it.
If there is one make note and post back with it.
Brian

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to grab a scanner to try out, will the truck store codes yet not show any Check Engine lights, and once the truck is running with the key in the ignition will the codes clear or will they still be present?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm pretty sure that there is some sort of code being thrown by one of the many computers. The manual says something about shutting down if it detects any kind of failure as a protection for the engine/transmission.
Now how to find/fix it is a very tough question. Maybe try plugging into the obd port key out door closed and then command a remote start and see what happens.
I'm sure the computer will / does post some sort of status codes that can be read with the correct equipment. My guess is either the glow plugs and or the warming grid is some how causing the code to be thrown.
Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine does that as well sometimes, it is usually a saftey shut down because of oil pressure. On thecolder days it takes a min to get oil press and the auto start will shut down. If you have started it manually you may have seen the warning on the screen that says "low oil pressure shut off engine", basically its doing it foryou as your not in the truck to monitor. happens off and on to me at about -20 and below.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Call OnStar if you have it. They should be able to tell if you have any codes in your ECM. Hey, if they can tell you what your check engine light code is, they might be able to tell you why your auto starter isn't staying on....and you can do it from the garage just by sitting on your butt (even with a beer in your hand).

·
Registered
995 Posts
Be sure your cold weather automatic elevated idle is switched on too......

;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are tires low on air now that it is cold out? A low tire pressure warning will prevent the factory remote start from operating. Get the Astro as two shots at 10 min.s each is not long enough to warm the truck up... well not enough here in North Dakota. Good luck.

Jimmy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Borrowed a OBD2 code reader and started the truck this afternoon with it hooked up. Started fine as temperature was above freezing, will have to wait for a colder day (not if, but when...Edmonton, Canada) no codes of any kind displayed at this time. Tire pressure is at 65 pis front, 68 rear. Never had low oil pressure alarms, but is possible I suppose, no OnStar. I have the 2007.5 Duramax 2500HD SLT. How would I know if I have elevated idle, I looked in my owners manual and saw no reference to it. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
995 Posts
..........How would I know if I have elevated idle, I looked in my owners manual and saw no reference to it. Thanks for all the replies.

It's in the manual - key word ELEVATED IDLE........... You have to turn it on for it to work, I know that's what I did last winter....... Loads and warms the Allison too when temps are cold enough........

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284175

;)

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
I do not know why it would start above freezing and run and not run very long after below freezing. The only thing I know when that happens there is a code in the history. Yes the code can be there and not show a check engine light. I say check for code when below freezing.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You'd think that with all the sensors and computer controls on these things it could tell the intake air temperature is cold so it would elevate the idle on its own.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 08 did the same thing here a while back in warmer weather. It was a simple fix, but I can't remember what I did. I believe it was shutting off as a safety. I believe it was a simple unrelated light on the dash, that didn't even deal with the engine (ex. washer fluid light or something). I know this sounds stupid but it was so simple that once I fixed it the remote start worked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update...trucks been fine the last couple of days but it has not been too cold out. This morning tried it again since its -5 outside. I tried the remote start with the code reader attached (and elevated idle turned on) same thing...turned off after couple of seconds and no codes generated. Once key put in ignition and pulled out it would start fine with the remote starter.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
I must say something is not right and may be a real gremlin to find. From what you say it sounds like the engine as cycled a run twice. After the 2nd remote start it will not restart until key has been used. I have a really far out idea but maybe there is a neighbor with remote start and they have cycled or others and some how interferes with yours. I look at getting it to the dealer and something to try is reprogram the passenger door module and BCM module. Then reset the key fobs to the truck. Maybe that work. But it is a really far out thought that I dont see happening but it is all electronics.

You have any add ons you have down. List everything you have added to it no matter how unrelated.

Brian

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Truck is completely stock, no one else in neighborhood has my style truck, will maybe have to take to dealership and leave overnight for them to hook up their tech 2. I just want to wait for consistently colder weather as is only happens when it is colder (below freezing)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts