Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2006 silverado and was looking to put a factory touch screen in. a few questions though, first where can i find the units besides e-bay, and second which ones will work on my truck, i have bose but dont have the code in my glove box like it says on ebay. :help: thank you in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Silverado's are non-lux and you can get the nav head units from the specmo.com . They are VERY reputable and have EXCELLENT customer service. You may pay more then off of ebay, but you are guaranteed the right stuff. jpcustoms.com also has complete packages. What are you looking at doing? Luxury upgrade? Head unit only? CDX?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just finished up my Lux amp install this afternoon. Made a big difference in sounds quality.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is cdx? and i dont have the lux apm? i thought it was b/c the bose. anyway are they that hard to install? and if i get the lux edition what do i need to do to get it working in my truck. finally was there a bracket to place the antenna on? thank you for the help!!!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a whole write up at the GM-Truck Forum. To answer some of your questions.....the easiest way to get nav in your truck would be to buy a non-lux nav head unit. Its almost a plug and play...just have to install the GPS antenna and tap the VSS wire. Its get a little more complicated to upgrade to a lux system. A lux system would require a new lux amp and more wiring. A cdx is a in dash cd changer. If you want a pdf on the install just email me.....it has pictures and step by step instructions.

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
Ya know...all that info is in this forum's DYI section......

Ben did a lot of work on that.....

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does the lux amp help that much, i thought the bose was the best you could get?

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am new here so sorry. i guess i need to learn how to search.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
no worries! Welcome to the Diesel Place!

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
if theres something you dont understand on my long post in the DIY section on installing the nav units, feel free to ask me for clarification..

--Ben

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
what is cdx? and i dont have the lux apm? i thought it was b/c the bose. anyway are they that hard to install? and if i get the lux edition what do i need to do to get it working in my truck. finally was there a bracket to place the antenna on? thank you for the help!!!!!!:cool:
Like TheBac said, Ben did a large write-up on it (see link). There is a link at post #14 with pictures and step by step walk through how to do it. His write up goes into great detail as to option codes, how to convert over to Lux (luxury Y91) option for better sound quality and all about the CDX install. Good luck finding a Lux Amp. the prices are through the roof now. :eek:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40437

I have two pics, one showing the "CDX" and one showing the pocket you have to saw off for the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you guys a million! great write up ben. how long did it take you and how much money did you have to spend? was the lux worth the extra time and money? thanks again and sorry about the repeat post!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
thank you guys a million! great write up ben. how long did it take you and how much money did you have to spend? was the lux worth the extra time and money? thanks again and sorry about the repeat post!
Lux Amp definately worth it... Otherwise you'd have to go aftermarket. I also added a sub speaker system to compliment the stock system (I love Bass!).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
looks like all these items are almost impossible to find and i see you have some:rolleyes: i was wondering if you needed to get rid of them.:D or anywhere to look for them?

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
WELLL....I did my lux install back in the dark ages when no one wanted lux amps. 20-30 bucks would get you one Lux amp.

nooo not selling mine sorry :)

btw did you get your UWS toolbox thru the Line-X dealer? I got mine from my Line-X dealer and love it so far...its a great toolbox!

--Ben

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes by best friend ownes the line-x shop so i get everything at cost. what program should i get? should i wait on the edge?

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
yeah id wait on the Edge...not knocking Bully Dog, but just never liked their products for some reason

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Wait on the Edge? Money or version cause of the wait? If you have the LLY, current LLY Edge should work. Or does your LLY have the 6 speed Allison?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts