Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just ordered a 2017 3500HD. I will be pulling a 5th wheel trailer for the first time, after 20 years of pulling bumper pull travel trailers. I did not order my truck with the factory installed 5th wheel prep package, and I'm now having second thoughts that maybe I should have ordered it.

Does anyone have any experience with this GM installed prep package? If so, do you still have to buy a 5th wheel hitch, or is that also included? Who makes the best 5th wheel hitch and what brands should I avoid?

Appreciate your input.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
If it has towing package, then all you need is a fifth wheel hitch

·
Premium Member
17,838 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mine came with the harness for the 5th wheel but not the plug installed. It was easy to install. Drill the hole, cut the zip ties holding the harness above the spare tire, run the harness up to the hole and wire to the plug. For the 5th wheel install I used above bed rails with the chev custom brackets. They bolt up to the frame, you drill the holes through the bed and bolt down the rails. It is easy if you drop the spare tire. I didn't until I was near the end and kicked myself for not dropping it.

Now if you have the puck system you just need to get the correct 5th wheel and drop it into place. Very easy. All depends on which prep package you bought.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
My '16 came with the fifth wheel prep package, and the trailering package.

There are five holes in the floor of the box that have pop off covers. Four of the holes hold the cam lock pockets that the PURCHASED fifth wheel hitch can anchor into. The hitch I bought can have the head removed from the pedestal so that it is a one man removal/install. Mine also came with the goose neck ball for the fifth hole, and the safety chain anchors that use two of the pockets.

Along with both packages, the in box trailer power cord receptacle is in the left rear upper corner of the box so the cord doesn't hang over the box to the bumper receptacle.

All except the hitch was factory installed options. I bought mine from a rural dealer that sells to farmers. The city dealers don't seem to think of those things.

I haven't pulled a trailer yet. But I would insist on those packages for any truck I purchased. In fact I walked away from Denelies that didn't have those options.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have just ordered a 2017 3500HD. I will be pulling a 5th wheel trailer for the first time, after 20 years of pulling bumper pull travel trailers. I did not order my truck with the factory installed 5th wheel prep package, and I'm now having second thoughts that maybe I should have ordered it.

Does anyone have any experience with this GM installed prep package? If so, do you still have to buy a 5th wheel hitch, or is that also included? Who makes the best 5th wheel hitch and what brands should I avoid?

Appreciate your input.
I was thinking the same thing on my 16 3500, and then seen some videos on the factory setups, and then changed my mind.

This first video is why I changed my mind. I really do not like putting the chain cleats and greasy ball in my cab or someplace that is under lock and key (you know these would be theft items). I personally will go with a B&W Turnover ball hitch.

https://youtu.be/rEalyR4Zl4c

https://youtu.be/-gbjukDBxWU

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was thinking the same thing on my 16 3500, and then seen some videos on the factory setups, and then changed my mind.

This first video is why I changed my mind. I really do not like putting the chain cleats and greasy ball in my cab or someplace that is under lock and key (you know these would be theft items). I personally will go with a B&W Turnover ball hitch.

On the first video, skip to 13:15-19:40

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Snipped.....then changed my mind.

I really do not like putting the chain cleats and greasy ball in my cab or someplace that is under lock and key (you know these would be theft items). I personally will go with a B&W Turnover ball hitch.

The GM ball and chain cleats come in a plastic case. You can keep the greasy mess inside the case under the rear seat when not in use.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The GM ball and chain cleats come in a plastic case. You can keep the greasy mess inside the case under the rear seat when not in use.
Yep, well aware of that. I looked at that case, and it is not sealed. I would think a greasy ball odor could be present. A few things I can't stand smelling: grease and gear lube. Weird, I know.

To each their own. I voiced why my mind was swayed from using this design. For most people it would be just fine. I just like the rating, turnover design, and the safety chain u-bolts better.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I've got a pullrite superglide 5th wheel hitch, with the newer designs on the 5th wheel trailers a sliding hitch probably not necessary. It's pricy but I love it, wouldn't buy any other personally.

·
Registered
307 Posts
just got a 2018 LP5, Crewcab, shortbed LTZ, Z71. It had the trailer wiring and dash trailer brake controller, but not the puck 5th wheel/gooseneck trailer prep package.

The dealer is installing a Curt Q20 5th wheel hitch with R20 slider. The installation includes the curt brackets under the bed that fit the frame. It will have two rails in the bed that the hitch will fit into. We'll see how it goes! I'll post any issues. Otherwise it should be good to go.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My 2018 chevy lb did not come with the puck system.Didnt want it either.I installed B&W turnover goose neck system on it.due to i have
My Reese fifthwheel hi rise hitch goes into it.
No rails easy to take in and out .
Had it for years and no issues

1 - 12 of 12 Posts