Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bent my factory hitch truck pulling and I'm looking for a replacement. It's a 2002 and wondering if a 2007+ one with the 2.5" will bolt on and be a bit stronger for a budget upgrade. Factory one has done me well for the last 8 years pulling.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When I swapped my Yukon, I bought a hitch off eBay, it attaches to factory location but reaches back farther on the frame. Much stronger than factory. My Yukon is an 03, the hitch was called the "tow beast" I think it was made by titan. Just search eBay for tow beast receiver hitch. It is rated 12k/1200 and 14k/1400 WD. And it was a 2.5 inch opening. I think I paid around 240 shipped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bent my factory hitch truck pulling and I'm looking for a replacement. It's a 2002 and wondering if a 2007+ one with the 2.5" will bolt on and be a bit stronger for a budget upgrade. Factory one has done me well for the last 8 years pulling.
What is the make, model and cab size? Hitches are vehicle specific so you will need to select one that will fit your vehicle. Have you checked out Hitchweb? They have a lot of options for hitches and accessories: Trailer Hitch Search

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Youd be better off with just replacing it with a aftermarket hitch. The stock hitches from 01-10 are the same in the rating. (01-10 stock hitch class 3.5.) Which isnt much for 3/4 & 1 ton trucks.

·
Super Moderator Rather Be Fishin'
2,904 Posts
Yep, you can get a much better aftermarket replacement, probably for less cash too.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I realize this is a month old, but if you cut the OEM trailer plug in plate off the old hitch, then weld it to a piece of 1 1/2 x 1/4 (or what ever mild steel) you can drill holes and bolt it back in place using the 2 existing bolt holes in the bumper that the OEM was attached to.

It will be much stronger than the flimsy replacements that are sold aftermarket, plus it will still fit the OEM plugs.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
do like I did on my 04.5LLY. pull off the factory hitch (yes it bent) and put on a Reese "Tow Beast" Class V hitch and be done with hitch problems forever.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I'm not impressed with the factory hitch at all. If I used it much I'd replace it with an aftermarket
Jim

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I went with one of these stainless bumpers with a 20,000 lb. welded on hitch. Exceeds the truck's capacity, but I got it when I had money to burn. Cost is like $3,000 in polished stainless.
Reunel Extreme Heavy Duty Bumpers

And I just sold the factory one lest year at a yard sale for like $20.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I went with one of these stainless bumpers with a 20,000 lb. welded on hitch. Exceeds the truck's capacity, but I got it when I had money to burn. Cost is like $3,000 in polished stainless.
That's a great looking bumper

·
Registered
962 Posts
Additionally, on some of the RV specific sites, there are reports of the OEM hitches failing. When I read about that and replaced ours, I found a broken weld (04.5 LLY). All I had ever pulled at that time was a 5180 lb (dry weight) travel trailer. The shop where I bought the Reese hitch from keeps one of the OEM hitches that failed as a visual aid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts