Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What limit do you feel comfortable with the factory setup? I have a 2 place enclosed sled trailer and I'm never over 5K but have truck will haul. The neighbor just bought some land up north and I can see me having to haul his company's 7K trencher this spring to do some work.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've been towing over 10,000 pounds with mine (estimate something over 7,000 miles in the last 6 months) and you could see it was pretty hard on it. The pin hole ended up the shape of a football. Literally just came if from replacing it with a Reese Titan V, first impressions of this receiver are very favorable...

Jim

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
6500lbs

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have pulled our rig of close to 9k for over 40,000 miles with 3 trucks, 2 3/4 6.0 gasers and about 25,000 miles with the D/A, and have not seen any ill effects from the OEM hitch yet! I have used it on the D/A with, and with out the EQ bars, depending on how we had the trailer loaded.

I know others don't like the OEM but I have had nothing to complain about in the last 3 trucks that I have had.

The biggest trailer that I have pulled with the OEM was a 28' inclosed full of my brothers house stuff when he moved to TN from KC. Don't know what the total wt. was but thinking around 10k.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Well I wish I had pictures of the stock trailer hitch coming apart at the welds on my 2001 crew cab dually 3500 Duramax GMC.

I was pulling my trailer(10000lbs) in New England on a nice short 450 mile trip and when I was refueling I was checking out the truck...well I noticed the trailer hitch was sagging. So upon further inspection I noticed the welds coming apart. I called all dealers in the area to locate a dealer with hitches in stock...well I found one and he replaced it with a drawtite hitch Class IV. NO WARRANTY!!! When I got back to the my shop I replaced the CLass IV with the current REESE TITAN V.

I can only imagine what would have happened if I hadn't noticed the welds going bad.

This is extreme use though so take it for what its worth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts