Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What information is available on the engine oil installed at the factory in a 2006 LBZ? I did a search but did not find any info. Anything special about it? Is it dino or syn? What weight? How long should it stay in the engine for breakin? Thanks

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
As far as I know, factory oil is 15W40 dino. As to which brand - I have no idea. I did break-in oil and filter changes at 500 miles, 2000 miles, 5000 miles, 10000 miles and 15000 miles. After 15000 miles I went on a 7500 mile oil and filter cycle which I've recently changed to my oil minder guidance which is running 7800 to 9000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know it's Dino, I always heard it was the Shell Rotella but who knows.

In all my vehciles I have done oil & filter changes at 2500, 5000, 7500, 10000. At 10K I switch to synthetic and go to 5K oil and filter changes. Might go a little longer in the diesel since the DIC seems to think 8K-10K is OK.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rotela T

That is what I have heard also....Ive ran rotels T in all my trucks and never had a problem...we also use it in out Fire trucks at work and they have never had one give up yet either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe they use different oils at different dealers. But I work for GM at an assembly plant and they fill the gas engines with Mobil dino oil. I also ask my dealer what they were using for diesel oil changes, and told me they were using Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40. I used that in my 03 Dmax and plan on using it in the new one for at lease the first 12K to 15K miles. Then I may go Mobil synthetic or equivalent don't know for sure yet.

·
Registered
868 Posts
While the factory probably uses the same oil on initial fill, the dealers are free to use any oil that meets the GM specifications. I recall back in 2003, my local dealer was using Texaco Ursa.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have to agree with RK, I've been using Rotella T in my max and haven't had any issues, My dads shop uses it in all the rigs and he swears by it

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've used a lot of Mobil Delvac Super 1300 in my truck. It's an excellent oil.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I had my oil changed yesterday at the dealer and I asked them what oil they used (acted stupid and curious). The service writer took me over and showed me nice quart containers with the GM stickers on them. It was 15W40. As far as who supplied it to to GM before it is relabeled, I have no clue. The dealership I used to work at used Mobil oil in everything (pumped out of a big tank throughout the service dept, but on diesel's they used the "special" GM containers of oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i normally do my own maintinance, but the dmax goes to the dealer qwick lube. there standard oil is delo, but the upgrades are cummins blue label, then ther is one above that. i run the blue label.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had mine changed at 1000 miles and the invoice says 10qts. of delvac 15w40.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts