Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to a factory DVD from a Trailblazer and would like to install in my 03 GMC with Bose and indash 6 disc changer. It does not have a wiring harness so I will have to find one somewhere. Anyone know what I am up against to get it working like factory?

·
Registered
386 Posts
As far as I know, the wiring harness's (with DVD vs without) are two different animals. It would be far more work to make the factory one work with the facrory harness, in a truck that didn't come with one, than to get an aftermarket unit, or make your own harness.

BillEdited by: Redapple

·
Registered
244 Posts
Starting in '03 all of the audio components communicate over the Class 2 data bus, so the unit you want to add must be compatible or the head unit won't think that the DVD player exists, and the audio inputs for it won't be available.

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
It might be complicated, but I'd get copies of the wiring diagrams and see if it COULD be done. Why not? You certainly wouldn't be out anything just reading the diagrams to see if you could wire it like an aftermarket unit....

I'm crazy enough to try something like that......

·
Registered
362 Posts
I looked into the same deal. I found one out of a crew cab like mine and found you need to basically pull the headliner and dash out and replace the harness with the harness set up for the DVD which was just over $100, not that big of a deal. I also found that the headliner itself is different and needed changed which was around $300 for some reason. I passed on the DVD and will be putting a DVD player with monitors in each headrest in soon. A lot less work. The factory DVD was the only option I didn't get when I ordered my truck and I'm thinking I wish I had!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just do an aftermarket system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.