Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the factory DVD player in their truck? Does it work well? Any aftermarket models that are under $1500 that work well?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Works very well. Well worth the money if you have kids.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
SonnyBear,

I second what Max Power said.

Max, sounds like you and I are living parallell lives. DVD, XM, Rum and Coke. Breakfast cereals talkin to us.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Aftermarket...Rosen Clearview II!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I added an Audiovox aftermarket unit. Has a DVD and a VCP!! They are mounted under the rear seat which isn't the most convinent but I can go HOURS on the road without hearing "It's OVER". Best was it only cost $595!! Getting ready to test it ou again. 12 hours to KY for the holidays. Edited by: FirstDiesel

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went with sony headrest monitors. One can watch vid while the other plays playstation. It cost under $800 to do.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Buzz, how old are your kids? I borrowed a portable unit and tried hanging it on a headrest. When I sat in the back it seemed like I was way too close. Even my 9 year old didn't like it.

Sonny, I've got the factory system in my Olds minivan. Highly recommend it. I'd have gotten one in the truck but the 6spd requires a bench so no factory DVD.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Trippin said:
SonnyBear,

I second what Max Power said.

Max, sounds like you and I are living parallell lives. DVD, XM, Rum and Coke. Breakfast cereals talkin to us.

Do you like Beer? TV? If so, we must be twins!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jeli, the kids are 5 and 3. Yes you do set close (around 3ft) to them but it didn't seem to me like it was to close. After i installed them I had to set back there with my daughter to watch Peter Pan and it was not a problem for me. I am 6'4" and had to pull the headreast up all the way to get a good viewing angle but that was it. I like the ability of having them able to view different things at the same time. One might want to watch Peter Pan and the other one wants to watch good ol Barney.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. We visited Best Buy electronics store today and looked at a video set-up like Buzz has. Pricey at $2200, but we learned something about the roof-mounted sets that we had not considered: When the screen is down, it blocks the line of sight with the rearview mirror. We pull a trailer for camping and you need every mirror to tow safely, not to mention that having your rearview mirror unimpeded is tantamount to all driving. Looks like the headrest set is the way to go.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
SonnyBear said:
Thanks for the info. We visited Best Buy electronics store today and looked at a video set-up like Buzz has. Pricey at $2200, but we learned something about the roof-mounted sets that we had not considered: When the screen is down, it blocks the line of sight with the rearview mirror. We pull a trailer for camping and you need every mirror to tow safely, not to mention that having your rearview mirror unimpeded is tantamount to all driving. Looks like the headrest set is the way to go.

I was just looking on E-Bay and they had 4-Headrest monitors by PYRAMID with a DVD player for $450.00 here DVD MONITORS

Looked like a pretty good deal.

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Be careful before you buy. There is a difference in quality and price between LCD and TFT screens. TFT is the better way to go. Those on Ebay were LCD.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sonnybear, have you looked at the Vizualogic set up? We have them for $1099.99. Add the DVD (with built-in TV tuner) for $230. Depending on the year of your truck you may be able to get the interface (GM9-AUX) to pipe it through the factory system.

With shipping you're looking around the $1400 range.

You can view the Vizualogics on our website http://www.jpcustoms.com or drop me an email. [email protected]. I'll be happy to answer all your questions.

Installation is pretty easy. Nice afternoon project.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Or you could take the "poor" man route and use the portable DVD console bracket to mount a portable DVD player. This works nice for my team as we can use the portable in the truck, camp trailer, hotel, etc. The bracket is over priced but works well.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
tophog, where did you get the bracket?

·
Registered
262 Posts
A laptop w/ a DVD drive is another alternative...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Can you add more monitors when you get the factory option? I want the ones for the visors! But someone asked if it had audio video out? Help?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts