Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced this on a customers truck today. He said he was turning in a parking spot, and suddenly had no steering. The truck is a 2500HD CC/LB with a 6" Fabtech lift, but is only running 285's on stock wheels (dont ask:wtf: )

Attachments

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
At least it was a clean break :eek: Tell him to fess up and get the real story. Hopefully it didn't break that easy ...

Tell him I have a HD OEM tie rod forsale :)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has stock tie rods and they were fine, so I don't believe it could have taken too big an impact without damaging one of them first.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
There supposedly rebuildable, so its not totally trashed. He'll probably have to talk to Fabtech to get the part.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately the Fabtech parts were not available in a timely manner, so he had to buy a new OEM pitman AND idler arm to get back on the road. The Fabtech parts locate the centerlink about 3/4" lower than the OEM parts, so both pieces must be replaced, no mix and match. He owns a local auto accessory shop so I am sure he will be taken care of on the Fabtech parts, just not today.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think if that were the case, it would have broken at the end of the threads.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
hopefully a fluke.. i've hit a couple things :) with my tires and have yet to break it..

·
Registered
30 Posts
if you look at the pictures real close, you can see that the upper and lower part of the break (cross section) is rusty brown.. this means that the stud was cracked for quite some time before it actually broke. I deal with designing and perfecting axles for racing atv's so i have a lot of experience with this. i have seen failures happen when the atv was in the trailer getting towed, and the axle snapped.. it was alredy cracked 99% of the way, and finally let go... So it's kinda scary, because you can't really tell from looking at them.. especially when they are covered in grease and such.. that they are already cracked..

So i was just rotating my tires, and realized that i can move the front tire back and forth about 1-2 inches before the other tire starts to move.. so my steering is wasted.. i am surprised i haven't noticed anything with drivability.. except tires getting worn unevenly.. in desperate need for an alignment after get the steering tuned up..

So what is the best solution for this? Get moog idlers, and run the cognito strengtheners?? Thanks guys!!

greg

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I recommend the Cognito pitman/idler supports.

if you look at the pictures real close, you can see that the upper and lower part of the break (cross section) is rusty brown.. this means that the stud was cracked for quite some time before it actually broke. I deal with designing and perfecting axles for racing atv's so i have a lot of experience with this. i have seen failures happen when the atv was in the trailer getting towed, and the axle snapped.. it was alredy cracked 99% of the way, and finally let go... So it's kinda scary, because you can't really tell from looking at them.. especially when they are covered in grease and such.. that they are already cracked..

So i was just rotating my tires, and realized that i can move the front tire back and forth about 1-2 inches before the other tire starts to move.. so my steering is wasted.. i am surprised i haven't noticed anything with drivability.. except tires getting worn unevenly.. in desperate need for an alignment after get the steering tuned up..

So what is the best solution for this? Get moog idlers, and run the cognito strengtheners?? Thanks guys!!

greg

·
Registered
826 Posts
Fabtech has a recall on them, check their website. They do not have an updated part, but they are urging people to go back to stock because people could experience a sudden loss of steering. Yikes! They will pay for the labor and stock parts if you send them a bill and return the old Fabtech stuff.

www.fabtechmotorsports.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
just ordered the cognito strengtheners and moog replacements for $442 all shipped next day.. I was testing my t-case last night after finding out i have the pin hole syndrome because of a **** design on New Process's part (pump wears through the case, all fluid leaks out), and noticed that my front tires were gettting severe toe-in when i accelerated slightly while in 4wd.. it was pretty scary. I was hearing a squealing noise like tires, and looked out the window to see the front tires moving with so much toe-in it caused the tires to squeal and leave black marks in the street. (only driving straight for super short distances while in 4wd on pavement). so i am scared to even drive it.. I think this cognito mod is mandatory if you don't want to have issues with steering.

Thanks, greg

·
Registered
290 Posts
just ordered the cognito strengtheners and moog replacements for $442 all shipped next day.. I was testing my t-case last night after finding out i have the pin hole syndrome because of a **** design on New Process's part (pump wears through the case, all fluid leaks out), and noticed that my front tires were gettting severe toe-in when i accelerated slightly while in 4wd.. it was pretty scary. I was hearing a squealing noise like tires, and looked out the window to see the front tires moving with so much toe-in it caused the tires to squeal and leave black marks in the street. (only driving straight for super short distances while in 4wd on pavement). so i am scared to even drive it.. I think this cognito mod is mandatory if you don't want to have issues with steering.

Thanks, greg
Your squeal and wheel play could also be the hub assemblies going bad. They would be worth checking as well. Still waiting on my replacement hub assembly. So far I've managed to not pull my hair out with the squeal.

I have asked three times now if the cognito braces will work with the Fabtech steering stabilizer bracket that mounts to the pitman side of the centerlink. I have gotten no response from anyone, but I think that may be because I already know the answer. NO!

However, does anyone think it would be benaficial to get the braces anyway and just have one on the pitman arm? Or is it going to just be a waste of $$$ to have only one?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My wheel bearings are fine.. i checked that.. but thanks for the info. I just got my cognito braces and moog replacement idler/pitman arms on last night.. The install was pretty straight forward. Just a pain removing pitman arm. :mad: The braces don't interfer with anything, but i don't have the fabtech dampner. Depending on how close the fabtech dampner mount is, you might have a problem. The rod end that goes over the bolt is about 1.5" in diameter i am guessing. So you should be fine, unless the dampner mount is very close to the stud going through the center link, but since i have never seen a fabtech dampner mount, i am not really sure. I am running the stock one. I didn't lose any steering travel either. It works great, and should stay nice and tight. All the play is gone. Pretty pricey to fix ($440 including overnight shipping with moog arms) but hopefully it will be good for another 100k!

Send an email to [email protected]. He might know if the kit will work with the fabtech dampner.. good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts