Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the f-code on with pennsular upper to see what kind of effect it had on fuel economy.
It wasn't good. I find my self suddenly down at least 2mpg (average on 5 tanks of fuel) get up and go felt largely unchanged.

I figured I would try the F-code and run it N/A to try and avoid doing the massive parts change overs and be left guessing what part had what effect on power and fuel milage when I turbo it.

You know those pesky CDR inlets on the side of the C and J code intakes?
I could just plug them but I am going to make use of them. I am going to plug each side with 2 standard intake heaters as seen here:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100949&highlight

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24888&d=1157648621

Here is my adaptor, its almost done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
I put the f-code on with pennsular upper to see what kind of effect it had on fuel economy.
It wasn't good. I find my self suddenly down at least 2mpg (average on 5 tanks of fuel) get up and go felt largely unchanged.

I figured I would try the F-code and run it N/A to try and avoid doing the massive parts change overs and be left guessing what part had what effect on power and fuel milage when I turbo it.

You know those pesky CDR inlets on the side of the C and J code intakes?
I could just plug them but I am going to make use of them. I am going to plug each side with 2 standard intake heaters as seen here:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100949&highlight

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24888&d=1157648621

Here is my adaptor, its almost done.
i like it nice idea... just one question, have you tried the single plane j-code? we found that it flowed way better than the dual plane with the 351vgt.... just some info for ya... and i really like that adapter... i dont like the f-code intakes that much..... at least the upper...LOL

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm kind of lost on the different coded intakes, both upper and lower.....

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The C and J codes don't have upper intakes.
I don't like the F-code upper, so I replaced it with the far better pennsular diesel upper.
Running the F-code upper N/A would be horrible.

The single plane J-code looks so much like the F-code lower I don't think there would be a whole lot of difference in how they ran.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I also made the pennsular diesel upper water injection ready by adding a 1/8''NPT hole.

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Question for turbonator:
What if any effect does injecting water mist on the turbine make?
Would it slow it down with drag?
Or might the mist come out of suspension when injected there?
well, that is a good question... i really dont know, we always sprayed in right on the hat, it might possibly cause it to condensate on the inside of the upper... and form droplets? we just dont have enough experience with that stuff... although possibly the IAT might cause the injected material to vaporize quicker....:confused:...who knows? dang, thats a good question.....:)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I think it's best to spray it into the large plenum of the manifold. Having it change directions, restrict down, then enter into the plenum, leaves many places for it to pool or collect as well. It's best to spray it right where the cylinder is drawing it from, before it has a chance to fall out of suspension and collect.

There is a lot of velocity inside a boosted intake, but even so you will probably see inefficiency moreso than any benefit IMO.

Reactions: turbonator
2,424 Posts
Question for turbonator:
What if any effect does injecting water mist on the turbine make?
Would it slow it down with drag?
Or might the mist come out of suspension when injected there?
This is easy to answer. Next time you see a jet fly over look behind it. That line it its drawing across the sky is enough water that was the humid air. Now it is a cloud. Now the air going through a jet really has the water mixed in. So my bet is if you spray before the turbo you would centerfuge the water back to droplets.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can spray through a turbo.
It works real good. As the air heats up it vaporizes the water and stays cool.
Just dont spray through an intercooler, the water tends to condence.

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
I think I would be a little concerned also of the wear on the turbine blades, as well as the thicker medium the blades would be cutting through, putting un-neccessary strain on the turbo. These turbines can spin up to 150,000rpm, and with that kind of velocity, I'd rather not be hitting anything other than filtered clean air. We dump ours right into the hat, keeps temps down and very clean in the combustion chambers. Not sure where the manufactures like Snow, say to spray, as we have never had one of their kits....

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More pics.
The adaptor plate is done. Now just waiting on my 19x1.5mm tap to get here so I can install the intake heaters.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The common metric threaded intake heater coils I am using are 20x1.5mm not 19x1.5mm.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All finished and ready to be installed.
I used a 20x1.5mm tap and the heaters fit a little loose, I would recomend tapping them just deep enough to thread in and bottem out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,490 Posts
Very nice job....:) We discussed the idea of intake heaters many times, where did you purchase ? Looking forward to see how your set-up compares to the "F-code".

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see them for sale on ebay from time to time.
They were take offs from engines we were junking at work.

I just filled up yesterday so I will have about 2 weeks before I get some fuel economy numbers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts