Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's that place to go on here about the difference in the F and S engines. I read it once awhile ago but can't find it now. Didn't understand everything. Can anybody explain this whole deal in simple terms.:help:

·
Registered
551 Posts
The biggest difference in the F and S engines is the presence or absence of an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve. EGR valves bring some exhaust back into the intake stream to lower combustion temperatures and reduce emissions.

F engines do not have an EGR, and produce a little bit more power because of that. They also don't have any problems with sludge building inside the intake manifold because no exhaust gasses get recirculated in there.

S engines have EGR valves - easiest way to remember is S stands for soot or slow (from the EGR). Not very nice to S engine owners, but hey, it is what it is. ;)

·
Registered
877 Posts
F = Faster

S = Slower

:D

What was said above is accurate

·
Registered
101 Posts
:snipersmiFull Auto
Semi Auto

:lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
kiss my butt. dont forget about the vaccum pump.

·
Registered
584 Posts
What about it?

Oh yeah I'll run my "S" ....slow against any stock "F" fast truck....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you convert and S to an F?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
YES:grd:

·
Registered
551 Posts
What about the vacuum pump? Does one of the engine types not have one?? I thought they all have 'em to run the turbo wastegate.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Vac pump is required for all unless running a TM, then it's not required for F trucks, S trucks need it for EGR, and EGR vent as well as WG control

·
Registered
584 Posts
Vac pump is required for all unless running a TM, then it's not required for F trucks, S trucks need it for EGR, and EGR vent as well as WG control
:secret: Don't tell my EGR my truck has been running oh so good with out the vacuum pump for 2 years now and the EGR is still there. Please don't tell my EGR something missing!!!

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Okay wise acre nuff of that :) , I should say those OBDII trucks that want a functioning EGR will require Vac pump or they will code, you can't just plug a OBDIIs lines like a OBDI can, OBDIIs will need a reflash that says ignore EGR or get a F PCM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts