Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past week when I am sitting in the cab truck running there is a real strong burnt diesel smell in the cab when cold or warmed up. This has been only happing for the past week. Truck is 100% stock. No black or white smoke from the exhaust. Everything runs great. No leaks could be found. Just a different diesel exhaust smell.
Thanks
:grd:

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
What year is it and how many miles? Some of the early trucks had problems with a mount on the downpipe breaking and leaking. I guess it could happen to newer trucks as well.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
There's a large cabin intake vent on the driver's side rear of the cab. If the breeze is just right the exhaust fumes can be pushed under the bed and that vent is about 6x8 inches and will let the smell in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 04.5 and has 9000 miles. Fuel Filter has about 3000. I have really checked under and I see nothing. I beleve it is coming from the tail pipe and not a leak under the hood. I'm going to give it a hard ride today and see if I can see or feel anything else.
:ro)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine does the same thing, under the same conditions as "Idle Chatter' mentions, the wind blows it back in the cab intake while setting still, does it happen once underway?

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
It is a 04.5 and has 9000 miles. Fuel Filter has about 3000. I have really checked under and I see nothing. I beleve it is coming from the tail pipe and not a leak under the hood. I'm going to give it a hard ride today and see if I can see or feel anything else.
:ro)
I"ve had this happen before, but it was right after installing an exhaust system and the EGR didn't know what to do. its burning your eyes because its raw diesel coming out the exhaust. In my case it was the egr messing with the computer, but in your case I would take it in and make sure the injectors/egr/maf are doing ok. You say its stock and nothing was done to prompt this so make sure you get it checked out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I blew it out today the power and everything was fine, no exhaust color and nothing while driving. I am going to use as much fuel before fillup and try another station. This is weird.
:cool2:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had the same as briano. I also think its happened but only when there was a breaze

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Mrvulcan I Have A 2005 Lly And I've Been Having A Problem Of Sudden Shut Offs. Dont Know If You've Been Having This Problem Too, But Back To Your Post I Started To Smell Diesel In My Cab Also, Raw Smelling Unburnt Diesel. I Pulled The Sound Deadening Chamber And Had A Look Around For Loose Wires And For Fuel. I Found Fuel Under The Fuel Rail On The Passenger Side. I Could Only See It Real Good From The Top Of The Motor Looking Down. Take A Look You May Have The Same Problem. I'm About To Pull Some Stuff Out Of The Wayand Check It Out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts