Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their LBZ exposed to really cold yet? Im talking -20F or colder? Problems with gelling? Did you use and Additive?

This coming weekend we are looking at temps -25 to -35 F :eek: actual tempeture. Ive been doing fine at about -10 to -14, in fact Im not even plugging it in at night because its been garaged. I have to use the truck this weekend and do plan on plugging her in, but should I use and additive? what Kind?
I already asked the dealer and they said the new ULSD already has anti-gel additives in it. Is this BS?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,610 Posts
I've seen -40 not plugged in with no problems. Definitely start using an additive at those temps. I've never had a problem with gelling but when it gets that cold I also run an additive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
I was told too that ULSD has anti-gel additives. My truck gelled at about -30C in November as I was not using an additive, I now use Stanadyne Performance Formula in every tank, and it has not gelled since. The coldest it's got since then has been about -30C again so I think it will be alright. I like to plug my truck in below -10C, and I run Amsoil 15w40 Synthetic. Just my 1 cent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
LBZFAN;1562973; said:
Has anyone had their LBZ exposed to really cold yet? Im talking -20F or colder? Problems with gelling? Did you use and Additive?

This coming weekend we are looking at temps -25 to -35 F :eek: actual tempeture. Ive been doing fine at about -10 to -14, in fact Im not even plugging it in at night because its been garaged. I have to use the truck this weekend and do plan on plugging her in, but should I use and additive? what Kind?
I already asked the dealer and they said the new ULSD already has anti-gel additives in it. Is this BS?

Thanks
It's BS. Have a friend that gelled up at -20 with additive (power service).........if it gets down to -25 or below you best have some #1 in the tank from my experience........unless you want to be sitting by the side of the road somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
Cenex claims their #2 is good for -40 degrees F.

Although it wasn't as cold as this coming weekend, my truck was outside from Friday afternoon thru Sunday morning and it fired up. I believe it got to -8 Sunday morning.

You must be from up nort! Not supposed to get that cold here....only -15 on Saturday night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,080 Posts
Use either the Stanadyne or Power Service in the white bottle. It is "formulated" for ULSD. I have used Howe's in the past but not presently as is has no cetane booster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Minn-Kota;1563015; said:
Cenex claims their #2 is good for -40 degrees F.

Although it wasn't as cold as this coming weekend, my truck was outside from Friday afternoon thru Sunday morning and it fired up. I believe it got to -8 Sunday morning.

You must be from up nort! Not supposed to get that cold here....only -15 on Saturday night.

:wtf1:We have Cenex around here and I will guarantee you that their #2 fuel is NOT good for -40F!!! Nor is anyone elses for that matter, UNLESS it has #1 blended with it, some places call this their 'winter' fuel, maybe your Cenex has it already blended but is calling it #2? I've got Cenex #2 premium fuel in a storage tank here and it won't even pump out of the tank when it's below zero......above ground tank with filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anywhere north of a line from fargo to brainerd should be prepared for some serious cold stuff this weekend. Ill take your advice with the stanadyne. Ill report back monday on how cold it gets and how the truck runs. She will be sitting on a sheet of ice to boot! Not to scared of driving the diesel out on the lakes now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,422 Posts
#2 true number 2 is not good for - anything. #2 blended w/#1 or straight 1 will be ok. IT depends on when the station gets its fuel whether itll be ok. Depending on how much fuel they use (some big stops get fuel everyday, some every week. Generally I was told by a fuel supplier, They blend fuel based on the customer and 200 mile radius. (ie fuel in FL wouldnt be too good in il. we had this cold snap and trucks lined up all along I39 today w/gelled feul esp southern trucks). I was told they usually try too look 10 days out at the forcast and take the lowest temp and blend for that temp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
It's not the typical "#2". Anyone from the northern areas know that the refineries have a winter blend for the winter and it's still called "#2". I think Cenex calls their winter blend Wintermaster or something like that. I'm just repeating what I read on their sign at the pump, not that I'm going to trust it completely if it gets down that low.


When did you fill that storage tank with #2? Big difference depending on the time of year. Summer #2 is not the same as winter #2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Minn-Kota;1563933; said:
It's not the typical "#2". Anyone from the northern areas know that the refineries have a winter blend for the winter and it's still called "#2". I think Cenex calls their winter blend Wintermaster or something like that. I'm just repeating what I read on their sign at the pump, not that I'm going to trust it completely if it gets down that low.


When did you fill that storage tank with #2? Big difference depending on the time of year. Summer #2 is not the same as winter #2.
If it says #2, not a blend.........I wouldn't trust it, unless they're going to come and get you going if you have a problem. The stations here (South Dakota) are marked with the blend percentages if they're blended, otherwise they will have a #2 pump and a #1 pump, you blend your own. Talked to a bulk fuel supplier the other day, and he said in no way would he run the #2 fuel in these extreme cold temps, even with additive. This was from a Cenex supplier.

I filled the storage tank early this winter. Also this fuel has a generous supply of power service blended with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
I wouldn't run summer #2 in the winter either, but the #2 at the pumps now is a winter blend...for the most part. If there is a #1 and a #2 pump, I assume that the #2 isn't winter blend unless it's marked as such. This stuff at the Cenex is a winter mix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
Z-71;1563395; said:
:wtf1:We have Cenex around here and I will guarantee you that their #2 fuel is NOT good for -40F!!! Nor is anyone elses for that matter, UNLESS it has #1 blended with it, some places call this their 'winter' fuel, maybe your Cenex has it already blended but is calling it #2? I've got Cenex #2 premium fuel in a storage tank here and it won't even pump out of the tank when it's below zero......above ground tank with filter.
It's probably the same stuff as Arctic Diesel marketed by Koch. It's been out a couple years and is not a #1 / #2 blend but has some other magic to it. I've had no issues running it...no additives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Jeli;1564153; said:
It's probably the same stuff as Arctic Diesel marketed by Koch. It's been out a couple years and is not a #1 / #2 blend but has some other magic to it. I've had no issues running it...no additives.
If it's not a 1-2 blend, I would be like to know what the magic is that's in it? I'm just curious what it might be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Minn-Kota;1564131; said:
I wouldn't run summer #2 in the winter either, but the #2 at the pumps now is a winter blend...for the most part. If there is a #1 and a #2 pump, I assume that the #2 isn't winter blend unless it's marked as such. This stuff at the Cenex is a winter mix.
So you're saying the winter fuel is a blend..........sorry, I must have misinterpreted what you were saying in your previous posts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
The Magic is that it comes out of the crack tower closer to a #1 than a #2, add a good shot of anti-gel and cetane improver to it and you have a premium winter fuel that is not a blend or a #2.

It is a good fuel but can still have problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
...and a shot of 2% bio to top it all off.
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Top