Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've read all of the post about not running the extreme program unless you have upgraded the tranny, but I wanted to see how much of difference it was from performance. So I did and I like the extreme level and I am getting better mialage. I am having a hard time seing how it would waist the tranny with my driving style. I am not in the throttle very hard most of the time and when I am the truck de-fuels before it shifts. Is there anyone out there that has waisted a tranny that drives normal under normal conditions or is it all of the guys that are hammering there trucks because they have so much power?

Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
i am not an expert but i would say if you are not doing a lot of full throttle shifting and power braking and towing and racing it should last. but if you beat on it it is going to fry your tranny. i limpt mine on the 95 horse setting on the power pup.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I tow I drop it back down to tow/economy and have had no problems. I thinks that some of these guys are beating up on there trucks and using them to race mustangs at the stop light. I beleive that if you are going to use a truck like that your tranny is going to go either way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running that high in the upper gears? I don't follow you , running what high?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
That high of power in the upper gears will kill the tranny. Do a search theres a couple threads. The changing between 5 and 6 heats up the C3 pretty good and cooks them. Some people have even fried them with stock hp

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did your tranny upgrade entale?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Oops miss type its being done in may but i am doing

Transgo
SC3 clutches
ATS pump kit
Triple disk converter
And misc little mods to create more holding power.

Should be good to hold over 500RWHP

If you want to run some more HP i would suggest the new kit from Transgo for the six speed. It will help.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That high of power in the upper gears will kill the tranny. Do a search theres a couple threads. The changing between 5 and 6 heats up the C3 pretty good and cooks them. Some people have even fried them with stock hp
It's not just the upper gears you have to worry about. I've seen a stock Alli fry attempting a brakestand with H.J.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Do not run the Extreme unless you are ready to fork out some cash! I ran the extreme twice just rolling into the throttle at 45 it would slip the trans. I took it to Mike. L and indeed the c3's were toast.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Problem being that when you hurt your trans you wont know till its hurt;) Allison is like any woman.....they dont give you warnings and say "I realy dont like what your doing please dont go any farthur" She just acts normal till you piss her off......then if you learn your lesson and play nice after that she will act normal but the damage is there and she will never forget and let it go......get close to what pissed her off and she will freak out sooner.

If you drive light footed and dont go WOT then you will be OK.....its torque and HP that hurts em.....but if you drive and only give it 50% throttle in extreme and are ok or give it full throttle in a lower setting and are ok then why not just turn it down and use all the peddal? You can be fine if your real carefull though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts