Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done several searches but have not come up very successful. I am looking for someone(s) that have done unbiased dyno testing on many of the common performance products sold for Dmax trucks. If anyone knows of something like this please chime in.

Secondly, since I cannot find such a website, I have considered using my own truck for this purpose but will need some help.

Here is what I have: 2002 Chevy K2500HD D/A completely stock except 265/75R16 Tires. The truck has about 33k miles on it. I am the original owner so all prior history is known and documented. I also have installed Autometer boost and EGT gauges.

My shop is located about 1.5 miles from Superflow's headquarters. We have the opportunity to help them calibrate dyno's that are ready to ship to customers by using our vehicles. So about every other week or so, I can drive over there and strap a vehicle to the dyno. I would plan to run the truck stock and then run it every time I add something new to the truck to see what difference the product really makes. The gauges would also allow me to see how different products help/hurt on boost or EGT's.

So far I see the only problem (variables) being the fact that each test will most likely be a different dyno, however, each one will be freshly calibrated at the same time. As usual, changes in Colorado weather will be ever present and the tests will be conducted at 6100ft in elevation.

Now here is what I need: input on how/where to post all of this information as well as if you guys are even interested to know. I do not have the time/know how to create my own website, but would be more than happy to send the data to someone who does.

Also, unless some vendors want to donate product for the tests (it would be returned after of course) you guys will be at the mercy of my choice for parts.

Any input? Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have had one truck on several dynos and on one dyno over 100 runs. I haven't tried everything but most of what is out there. Some products a dyno just won't tell the story. Drivability should be as important as hp. My truck is very unbias because it is a manual and therefore produces more consistent comparisons, but how a product works with an allison is just as important. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CPMac:

Thanks for the input, I was a little worried for a while that I had accidently written in Portugese or something. Do you have a website where any of this data has been documented? Don't get me wrong, I believe that you did all this, I just want to read about it. I want to see what some of these products do and don't do.

That was the whole reason I brought this up, I am still learning about my truck and diesels in general. I want to improve the performance but don't want to waste $$$. I realize that a lot of guys on this forum have tons of experience and have already gone thru the learning curve. They have a lot of valuable information to share, but I want to SEE something. Opinions are like...well...you know.

Anyways keep the comments coming, thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
I only have 1 page up so far for a website. As soon as I get all the products listed I will try to list several items dyno sheets for comparison.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
BGDMAX,

You may have "spun up" my SF 840 dyno in November! I've logged some 200plus Mustang runs, and about 3 dozen Superflow runs. In that testing, I've found over and under achievers. I've found that the load cell will unmask many quirks and characteristics of different programs.

Now the problem: When I field my eddy currents, I keep blowing a diode and tripping a breaker. We are waiting for the EE and electronics tech reinforcements to come in on Monday to troubleshoot. 20% manual fild will blow it, so something must have happened in shipping.

That said, I have found the WinDyn software from Superflow to be excellent as it is freeware, and anybody can use it to overlay any tests. The ability to hold a set speed to "normalize" operating conditions, and achieve full pedal prior to initiating tests, removes variables and starts the test prints at a virtually identical point:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kennedy,

Thanks for the reply. I hope the boys at SF can get you runnin again this week.

By the way, thanks in advance for all the support you give on this forum as well as others I have visited. I plan to support businesses like yours with every product I buy for the truck as well as my dad's F**d.

That dyno chart is really interesting, I would like to know what they find wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts