Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i was wondering if there is any way i can (at home) extend my PMD wiring so i can get it out of the engine compartment, a 6' extension costs near 100dollars, i have the SSdieselsupply heat snyc and PMD but its on top of the engine, i want it in the bumper if anywhere, what do you think?

Thanks
Grant Miller

·
Registered
888 Posts
YES you can - Lots of info on this site on how to do it -- Read up.
I'd do the search for you, but I'm lazy, and it's early morning...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Piece of cake!!! I did it!, 6 strands of 6' of 18 gauge wire,, a soldering gun,, some heat-shrink tubing,, and some time,, and there you have it! took me 1 hour & 2 beers. Whne my engine was out, I did it, and then mounted the heatsink behind the license plate holder, in the bumper.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'll sell you my 6 foot extension much cheaper than that, plus i found them on ebay for 40 bucks... thats not bad IMO

·
Registered
471 Posts
The Deisel shop in Saskatoon sells a 3 foot extension for $170.00 (Yup that figure is right) I soon learned to make my own. A piece of cake it was. Just make sure you overlap & twist your wires 3.4 to 1 inch. & do one wire at a time so you don't get them mixed up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
One more tip. Use a good stripper (& I don't mean the one you gave your last $10.00 to last weekend) ;)A poor striooer can & will put nicks in the wires which can cause problems

·
Registered
766 Posts
I used some trailer plug wire, it had six wires IIRC. Worked slick having all the wires molded together.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Besides the "one wire at a time" tip, which you better listen to, you might consider going one or two sizes larger on the wire gauge (I used 16). The additional length causes the resistence to go up in the line but the larger gauge will offset this effect. And make sure you only do what's on the plug, you don't want to mess with the short sheilded ground wire on the IP.

·
Registered
31 Posts
pmd

caspers electronics has your cable and guages

·
Registered
504 Posts
You can build your own for about $30-$40.

Search the part point thread for "Extension-cable". Caspers electronics has the female connector and terminals. The male connector can be ordered from Mouser electronics.

Both part numbers are in the same post.

Connectors and terminals are about $25. The rest is wire and sleeving.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I made my own twice, cost about $3 for the wire. I initially relocated the pmd to a cooler on the fender well, now I just moved it out to the bumper, so I had to make a new longer harness. Regular old wire, 16 ga or 14 or whatever it is, I matched it up to the existing wire. Lopped off the plug by the IP, and added six feet. Took maybe 15-20 minutes of cutting and soldering.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just make sure that you secure the extension with tie-wraps at each end so that there is not any chance of splices being pulled on. I also used the 14/6 trailer wire because it was already incased in a rubber sheath so there was no need to try and fit all the wires into loom.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What do you guys think about this "Turbo Boost Bolt"....... It's a little pricey, but a very cool idea.

http://www.pmdcable.com/
Looks good. Let me know when & where I can get one in Canada. The price might make up for gaskets & any other screw ups I might do if I drill myself:( (if it really works)

·
Registered
628 Posts
It's pretty expensive if you ask me. Considering you can buy a 1/8" npt fitting for $1.19 at the DIY hardware store. I already had the drill bits and tap so that's all it cost me to do the fitting in the intake. I guess if you don't have them then the project would be a little more expensive. If you plan on doing the EGT gauge you will need the bits and tap anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.