Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search and I didn't see anything mentioned concerning extended warranties. Are they worth it or do you guys here on the forum see them as a waste of money?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't know about anybody else but for me it was worth it. I just sold my 03 and was glad I had it. In no way could I be considered a wrencher so I can't have one without warranties. I have one on the new one too.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply I'm thinking I'm going to end up purchasing one too.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Almost paid for itself

I got one, for 7yr/100k miles, about $1800. It covered everything the 3/36 warranty did. It has almost paid for itself, I figure I've used about $1300 on it with 5000 miles to go. Of course it would last till 2010/longer if I didn't travel so much. So you flip the coin and take your chances. It's just insurance.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I got one, for 7yr/100k miles, about $1800. It covered everything the 3/36 warranty did. It has almost paid for itself, I figure I've used about $1300 on it with 5000 miles to go. Of course it would last till 2010/longer if I didn't travel so much. So you flip the coin and take your chances. It's just insurance.

x 2 - Ring Gear and Starter went out at 50000 miles, cost me 100.00 repair was over 2000.00 .... Diesels are great but expensive to fix.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
14,360 Posts
Take the $1800, put it in some CD's and forget about it. I've only been driving for 40+ years, and have only had one vehicle that an extended warranty would have paid to have.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Well for me I have never purchased any extended warranty and it has never come back to bite me yet . I think the ones that come with the new trucks is long enough . If it makes you feel better about it and the extra cash isnt a big deal go for it . You gotta make a decision for your piece of mind .

·
Registered
483 Posts
Take the $1800, put it in some CD's and forget about it. I've only been driving for 40+ years, and have only had one vehicle that an extended warranty would have paid to have.
Agree.........I've had them on some of my vehicles (last one bought for my wifes 04 Suburban) and have used them for repairs in the past, but the cost of those repairs didn't even come close to what I paid for the warranty. On my 07 Classic I decided not to buy one. So now I have some money set aside in a CD getting 5% that I can use if needed for an unexpected repair. Also my 07 Classic has a 5 year 100,000 Warranty on the drivetrain already. Extended warranties are pure profit for the industry.......very few people use em...just my opinion.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bought one for my 2003 Chev 1500 and never used it, ended up cashing it in at a loss when I traded it in.......I have read that they aren't all that great and would not get another one, especially with the new warranties. If you get one, check around they are not all created equal....

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys I'm still searching them out.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I paid $400 for a GM extended warranty —3/36 to 5/40. From the point of view of miles, I paid $400 for 4000 miles. But I won't have 40K on it in 5 years. So I paid $400 for an additional 2 years. Of course, the power train is 5/100. But all of the non-engine electronics on an LT3 scare the hell out of me. In my case, I believe that the money was well spent. In other cases, I dunnnnooo. In any event, I wouldn't go near a non-GM warranty. Soooooo, you might consider an extended warranty in relation to time as well as miles — since the latter may in some cases not be as important as the time. BTW, on two other Chevrolets that I own, I didn't buy a warranty and have had no issues.

·
Registered
379 Posts
warrenties are good!!!! i deal w/ 15-25 warrenties.
i would use a gmpp or old republic(ordesco). they are almost the same. all warrenties are different. they are different plans, policies & so on. i always tell the people to buy the most expesive plan they can afford.
some even go higher then 1000,000 miles.

im a service advisor. im see alot of ext. warrenties pay well over what the consumer has payed.

eng- trans-computers(ecm, pcm & etcc..) complete ac systems, radio head unit cost more then what they payed for the ins.

its like house ins. you may never use it. but, if you got it & some thing goes wrong you covered.

a new company is out called aul or something like that they have a very strong backing.
some milage warrenties go up to 150000 or 175000 miles .

wynnes is another goodone.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have GMPP and have used it 2x in 50K miles (after the 3/36). I plan on keeping my truck at least 10 years and I wanted to have everything covered for the 1st five while I make the payments. After that, I will pay for the repairs.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to go with Major Guard when I decide to sign on the dotted line. I've had extended warranties in the past and they did come in handy, they ended up paying for themselves in the long run. I'm looking at a 72/100,000 policy, I figure with all the electronics/options my new truck has on it it'll be money well spent.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I bought extended warranties on all my new vehicles until my '04. Didn't get one for that or this one. I found them to be a waste of money, another way for the dealer to gouge you. But, others have found them useful, so it's peace of mind and personal preference, I guess. I've had good luck with all my trucks and hopefully that will continue. If not, the money will come from somewhere. To me it's worth the risk.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm hoping to start full time RVing this coming year and for years to come. If I have an issue it's not like I'm going to be back home where I know somebody that can repair my truck. I'll most likely have to take it to a dealer, this is one of the concerns I have. Yes I know I have 3/36,000 for now but I'm looking down the road.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I bought the standard extended warranty with the truck and before my 3/36 expired I upgraded it to a Zero deductible based upon the problems I had already had. Last time I was in for warranty work, I asked them to check the usage on the warranty and how much it would have cost me if I had not had it. All I can say is that it has already more than paid for itself and I still have some of it left!.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Way back when I bought my truck in 93, I purchased the 7 yr./100K warranty. Because I cannot personally do the work and at the time my husband would NOT do the work, it was a good investment. Especially true when the dealership could not figure out what was wrong with it and replaced a ton of stuff. Yes, if I didn't have the warranty I could have put up a fight and probably had them eat most of it... but at what expense and time investment?!! It also covered a rent-a-car while the truck was in for repairs.

I'd buy one again if I ever purchased another new truck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
drthv8r, I had similar questions and concerns about extended warranties before I bought my sig truck last week. The opinions here at DP ranged from what you're read in this thread, i.e. hate 'em / waste of money to love 'em / saved money.

Before I went in to close my deal, I researched the web for info. I followed a link in a different post on DP to gmoutlet.com for an online source for GMPP. Armed with the plan / price info from that online dealer I had something to compare to the quoted price from the dealer's "Finance Manager". Wow, HUGE markup at the dealer (not surprising) so I walked away from the dealer's offer.

I want to stick with GMPP (also a common sentiment here at DP) so I'll be going with gmoutlet. The website has lots of info and you can get the price for the different plans via a "hidden" link on their website in an auto-response email once you send them one with only a subject line. They've got a bit of a break on the price prior to the end of the year. Give em' a call, they should be back to work on the 26th, or so the owner told me when I talked to him on Monday.

I am not affiliated with gmoutlet in any way and will not profit from any business they may get from anyone reading my comments. I just want pass on to fellow DPers what I've learned as a new GMC truck owner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts