Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyones opinion on the extended warranty being the engine comes with 100.000 mile warranty allreay?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I Just bought my 01 on Dec 31st. Although I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything before I decided to get it on this one. 3 weeks later it's in the shop to have all front diff and T-case bearings and seals replaced as well as the pump in the T-case. 100k warranty on the engine wouldn't have done me any good. i still don't know what possessed me to get the extended but I'm sure glad I did!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well they are nothing but an insurance policy under written by a third party and the dealership usually gets a pretty good kick back for selling them.

Just finished the paperwork on mine, even though it's not here yet, and the F&I guy wanted $2300.00 (approx. 5% of sticker) for the cheapest one they had. They've got LOTS of fine print and exclusions, read the terms carefully. Even if you've got a legitimate claim down the road, don't expect every shop to accept what they'll pay. You can also expect to have to argue with them about any claim you make.

Some like Oldman, may have had a good experience with them, but I'd say his experience is in the minority.

YMMV, but that's why I didn't take the extended warranty on my new truck.Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
612 Posts
Had ... repeat had ... a 150,000 mile warranty purchased from Warranty Gold .... now that they have defaulted, have nothing ..
.. can only suggest folks avoid them like the plague and warn anyone you know who may be foolish enough to be considering them as a source for an extended warranty

Jim

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am not going to recommend one way or another. I will say that you can do a fair amount of research on the topic on other sites (try http://www.edmunds.com for a starter) and you will find that dealers typically make big $$ on these type of add-ons. Extended warrantees, interior protection, exterior clearcoat sealers, rust protection packages... these are the commission accelerators. Yes, I have purchased them in the past with various results.

If you are interested in an extended warrantee, or any other "protection packages", I would just say to each his own. To some folks and thier situations, it may be worth while - especially those that plan to keep thier cars an extended length of time. But if you turn your cars over often, your throwing your money away.

Also - if you decide to go after an extended warrantee, stick with GMPP (GM Protection Plan) - it will cost you more, but they will always be there, coast-to-coast.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Do you have any examples of what the GMPP costs for different mileages and levels of coverage?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Check the extended warranty. I had one through GE, my wiper motor went bad on the 1998 Dodge I had. They will not pay for troubleshooting, and only for the labor they feel is right, not what a dealership charges. I had $100 deductible and they paid $60.00 I had to pay $150. Then on the other hand I had the GM Extended Warranty on a 1999 Tahoe, it was $50.00 deductible per incident. The RH leather seat heater element in the seat went bad, and the rear window defroster went bad. They ordered parts and made an appointment for me to bring it in. The day I wwas supposed to take it in, it would not start. They sent a Wrecker to pick it up. The fuel pump in the task had quit. When I went to pick it up I was planning on paying $50.00 for each item. They said I only had to pay $50.00 Total as it was the same work order.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If I recall, 6 year/100,000 miles bumper to bumper - $100 deductable, was around $1100. I get the GMS (employee) plan for pricing so this price is probably a good 20% below what the dealer would normally quote. This was for the '04 Silverado listed below.

The Chevy dealer I pruchased the truck from only sells the GMPP. We purchased a Yukon XL about a year ago from another dealer that sold both GMPP & an aftermarket plan. Aftermarket is definitely cheaper by several hundred dollars, but I think your are rolling the dice with these aftermarket plans...

Just my .10 cents.Edited by: BKG-22

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
A gmpp 6/100 for the duramax is about 4500 retail.
I got the 3/75 for 1700.

Its the GMPP bumper to bumper. I figured I would cover the tranny to 75. I didnt want a big $$$ expense going out if something broke.

Im not an employee. I shopped the P warranty and searched the web. I wasnt able to do better.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
JEBar said:
Had ... repeat had ... a 150,000 mile warranty purchased from Warranty Gold .... now that they have defaulted, have nothing ..
.. can only suggest folks avoid them like the plague and warn anyone you know who may be foolish enough to be considering them as a source for an extended warranty

Jim
I had trouble with warranty gold a number of times, one time I used my sister in laws car which was covered by them, well to make a long story short, I stopped in GM dealerships from Virgina to South Carolina trying to get them to fix a problem with her car, and none would accept it, I ended up paying out of my own pocket, and had to fight the jerks for months to get reimburse, I just stick with the GMPP extended warranty, the only thing I don't like about GMPPs extended warranty is you pay alot of money for it and it becomes active as soon as you drive off the lot, instead of becoming active when the manufactures warranty runs out. Edited by: keystonekid

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I got mine through Primus and I got it for $1700 I think it was and it is a $0 deductible 7/85,000 mile warranty. supposubly you can take it anywhere to have it fixed. I don't know if that is the usual.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I typically don't buy extended warranties on anything. However, in 1986 I did buy an extended warranty on my 86 T-Type Regal. At 39000 miles(3K after standard warranty) I developed an oil leak in the turbo bearings. Warranty covered the cost of a new turbo. Then, at 40K pinion bearing went bad, covered. Now, cost of the warranty $895, cost of the pinion bearing & service - $373, cost of the turbo & service - $3056. I did good on this one and I've been buying them ever since. Too many gadgets on vehicles nowa days, point in case: my 1996 Caprice 5.7L (bought used no warranty) cruise control goes bad, price for repair $357, no warranty, out of pocket. 2 years later this part goes bad again, I either got to pay the bucks or settle for a semi-functioning cruise control. I believe it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

JP

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Ya Guys,

I once had a pretty blue Chrysler New Yorker, actually (wife), I had an old Chevy PU @ the time. WELL<......

I purchased the Extended warrantee from Chrysler....

The AC went Twice.
The Tranny was Repaired Twice.
The Tranny was REPLACED Once. (once was enough)!
And finally the ENGINE ! was REPLACED!!! (No more N..Yorker's)

All this was done for $50.00 each time!

I can't IMAGINE what I would have paid in Parts & Labor!

That being said, I was lucky to have purchased the warrantee, but it was right from Chrysler. not any other Sales Co.

I would suggest from My Experience to do buisness with GM if you want an extended warrantee......Expensive, Yes...but Not to me.
Paul

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
My dealership tried to push the extended warranty on me and wanted to charge me almost $5000 for the full warranty package. I opted not to get it but told that when I come close to 36,000 miles I will consider getting the warranty then, but now I going to pass. I feel that with the Chevy/GMC reputation I will not need the warranty unless major issues happen, then I will worry about it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My dealer wanted around $2500 for the 5yr. 100,000 mile warranty. I thought that was really high seeing the motor is warranted for that amount already. They wouldn't negotiate at all either. I ended up not getting it. Hopefully I won't regret that decision!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you're going to buy the extended warranty, you MUST get the manufacturers extended, not some aftermarket crap.

I always buy extended warranties. I have used them and they have paid for themselves. I have bought and never needed them on occasion so I chock it up to peace of mind. I have bought a extended and then sold the vehicle and got a refund less $25 processing.

To me, an extended is just an insurance policy and I have never had a problem with the legit ones offered by the Mfgs.

On my 2004 CC 4x4 Dmax, I got the 5/75K for $1100 with a $100 deductible and rental coverage of $35/day for the duration of the repair.

·
Registered
511 Posts
BTW, the great kicker of buying the extended was that even under the standard 3/36 I get the rental car for any repair that stays overnight.

With my Ford, I had to go without or pay for my own rental everytime it was in the shop (which was 18 days all total!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts