Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a toggle on the yellow wire for the ect and put a resistor in series on one position of the switch and on the other position the computer still sees the actual..

Boy what a difference in the way the truck starts!! It starts almost instantly now. I have a question though. When I connect the resistor in the circuit via the toggle switch my glow plug lights stays on for about 13 seconds. This is 2-3 seconds longer than without it. However the truck starts so nice with very little smoke.

My thinking is this, the switch is advancing the timing by fooling the computer into colder weather. Does this possibly meand that my timing might be retarded? I am unsure of how to check the timing, I am still reading everyday.

My next switch, here in the next day or so is for the TCC mod. My trans temps climb until I hit 55-60mph.

Thanks
Theront

·
Registered
490 Posts
x2, I have been thinking about this as I have been working in my truck. Good call, Theront

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try for some pictures, basically I love this switch right now. Even in the morning I bet it turns over maybe 2 revolutions before it is running and then it has an idle around 950rpms or so and it is so smooth.

Theront

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a couple of pictures of the finished install. We are in the middle of trying to move and getting rained on everytime we try to load the trailer. I can write up more and document it better if someone were to remind me at a later date.

Basic supplies:
SPDT switch
Resistor I had 5.56k ohm
wire to reach ECT sensor

Instructions:
solder resistor between pins A and C on the switch
solder yellow wire to sensor on B
solder yellow wire to ECM on A also

What you will have done is to put the switch in series with the yellow wire from the sensor. In position A the the computer sees the sensor normally. In position C the computer sees the sensor + resistor.

Theront

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Looks fantastic, Theront! Thanks a bunch. This is definitely a mod I will be doing shortly.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi Theront, thanks for the pics and info. Question - do you toggle the switch on, then turn your key, or do you do it after turning the key on? Is it a spring loaded momentary switch or does it stay on, then you have to turn it off after the engine starts?

Sorry for the silly questions, I'm just not sure how it works.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I toggle the switch to the up position, turn the key, wait for the glow plug light to go off then start the vehicle. I sometimes leave the switch up for a brief amount of time. I think that the colder it gets the longer I can leave the switch up. It moves my idle up to approx 950rpms.

Hope it helps.
Theront

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Note: I moved ChrisK1500's ECT Mod to the FAQ section, also. Chris didn't use a resistor, and did his so that his remote-start unit would work in the cold Saskatchewan winter.

When Chris flips his switch, the PCM is going to see -40*C as the ambient temp, and provide maximum glow time and timing shift to compensate.

When great ideas happen in multiple places independently, methinks we are onto something that all of us can use. Thanks, guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts