Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'll post it over here also.

Really need an answer to the "warranty" issue.

Since buying my '02 D/A Silverado, and the 13,000lb 5th wheel trailer, I have considered installing an "exhaust brake". I currently have 26,000 miles on the beast and have not had any serious "downhill" incidents. It's a pulling machine.

I am a somewhat conservative owner. Nothing special done to the engine, other that a "swiss cheese" job on an air box.

My concerns are which is the best of the bunch, and more importantly what happens to my warranty. I'm a California resident and therefore have the CARB to deal with.

Also, what experience has anyone had with warranty issues. On the "other" board one of the members appears to be a Master Mechanic for the general. It would be nice to hear from someone that is close to the fire.

I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
kb, first of all, most issues with aftermarket adds with vary from dealer to dealer. I know that there are a couple of different kits out there to get a brake from. Choose a product, then share the info with the service manager and let him know your plans and ask him his input. Not that you care what it it, but get him involved on the front side and avoid bringing it up after the fact, then no suprises. Choose a reputable installer if your not doing it yourself, the better the install, the less likely you will have trouble down the road. As a dealer tech, I notice aftermarket adds on a daily basis on all types of vehicles, the ones that get your attention are the ones that are hastily installed and will raise the most suspicion. A good install is one that you hardly know its not factory. As far as CARB is concerned, check with the manufacturer of the brake and see if it has been approved for CARB standards.

Not to push a product, but I have some info from Banks and I know that if the dealer is able to prove that one of there products caused a failure, Banks will pick up the tab, I see that there brake system has a 5 yr warr. I believe Bully Dog also makes a kit.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that is probably the best "advice" I have ever gotten. My dealer up till now has been ANTI.

When I had the steering rattle, he marched down the dictated path of the general, even after showning him all the post on what the real solution was. They even replaced the steering column. dahhhhhh

I was considering the BD, but will look at the Banks. Does Banks have a history of "supporting" their product as you indicate????

Off to Banks web site I go.........

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Please dont take the above as an advertisment for Banks, If your unsure of which way to go, many on here have brakes and could give you more info on them.. I am sure both are quality kits and will serve you well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts