Diesel Place banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Carter P4070, budget diesel lift pump

This setup addresses all of the issues known to me with the lift pump problems: No dry priming, no load on the ecm relay, no high pressure "hard starting", but plenty of flow and pressure (internally regulated to double pressure) to support mods WAAAAY beyond what I am running. To my knowledge, these pumps have always been this design, which is (IMO) king kong of methods of fuel movement. Some might argue that orbiting geroler or trochoid. I disagree since these latter designs when small electric motor driven will seize on particulate where a rotary vane will sacrifice one vane worth of flow and pass the particulate, which the fuel filter will then trap. Very resistant to seizure from particulate. I don't consider diaphragm even in the running alongside these designs.

If one fails with my system, it's $100 at the parts store [for TWO pumps], and probably *in stock*.

So to summarize: No hard starting, adequate fueling for basic bombed truck, cheap to build, more reliable, and very cheap and easy to maintain. Not for everyone, but works well for me.
While this works well enough for people with fairly normal needs, there will always be a few on every forum who will settle for nothing less than something like this...
Used an old terminal strip to make electrical connections (out in the open, no less), but hey, it's shiny, colorful, has some billet aluminum, stainless steel AND copper pipe too, and must have cost a LOT. What's not to like, eh? :rolleyes:

More is not always better. And if a 300gph pump was the right way to go, GM would have used something similar on the L5P... but they didn't.
The L5P in-tank electric pump is a fairly ordinary unit, and if that's good enough for GM engineers on a 445 hp DMax, that's a good example for a moderately-tuned LMM or LML.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Once again you are posting pointless/incorrect info. How many times do we have to call you out before you stop misleading people ?

·
Registered
364 Posts
A few more words of practical wisdom, starting here:
Mike_S said:
Anyone interested in running one out of a 6.5 they work great. Mine holds a 3000 uS pulse width at approximately 23-24K PSI (This produced 525 HP), has done for 2 years, and they are 100% flow through so if they quit working you're not stranded. If you are worried about them not flowing enough then double them up, run them side by side and it will be more flow than the stock CP3 can produce, and you'll STILL be at a lower price than any of the big name "diesel lift pumps."

Just my .02 worth, I simply can't bring myself to spend that much money on a re-badged pump from someone else thats just got the price jacked up by 50%
Mike_S said:
...a stock cp3 flows only about 80 gallons per hour at full tilt. So those [expensive aftermarket] lift pumps that flow 150 GPH are only causing excessive return rates from the pump. At least for those running a stock cp3. Also something to keep in mind, you don't want excessive lift pump pressures, it can cause erratic idle, and the general inability of the FCA to accurately control rail pressure.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
And once again you have Googled yourself into another pointless 7 year old thread that proves nothing but your disdain for Kennedy Diesel for some odd reason. Why do you waste so much time to bash reputable businessman like John Kennedy who you have never done business with ?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Corroboration about the usefulness of avoiding excessive flow rates:

DELPHI (an actual manufacturer of fuel pumps and other GM automobile components) said:
...Performance Advantages
A major advantage of Delphi's Brushless Fuel Pumps is that power consumption is reduced by approximately 36% (or more, depending on application). This can contribute to fuel economy improvement estimated at 0.2 mpg or a reduction of CO2 emissions by up to 3g/km. The reduced power consumption is a result of:

The elimination of friction caused by brush to commutator interface in conventional pumps.
The fuel pump controller runs the fuel pump at lower speeds precisely matching engine demand.

Delphi's development tests have also shown that our Brushless Fuel Pumps can provide significant fuel flow efficiency. An example of a typical performance is shown in the chart below. The performance of the fuel pump can be optimized to the particular application with only minor component changes....

the ability to match pump speed to engine demand virtually eliminates the need to handle recirculating fuel,
which in turn reduces evaporative emissions by keeping fuel temperature as low as possible.
300 liters per hour = 79 gallons per hour. Above that is literally "off the chart."

·
Administrator
20,203 Posts
Corroboration about the usefulness of avoiding excessive flow rates:

300 liters per hour = 79 gallons per hour. Above that is literally "off the chart."

Nomad, that's enough preaching..

Bashing on vendors here is going to get you an Infraction.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts

While this works well enough for people with fairly normal needs, there will always be a few on every forum who will settle for nothing less than something like this...
Used an old terminal strip to make electrical connections (out in the open, no less), but hey, it's shiny, colorful, has some billet aluminum, stainless steel AND copper pipe too, and must have cost a LOT. What's not to like, eh? :rolleyes:

More is not always better. And if a 300gph pump was the right way to go, GM would have used something similar on the L5P... but they didn't.
The L5P in-tank electric pump is a fairly ordinary unit, and if that's good enough for GM engineers on a 445 hp DMax, that's a good example for a moderately-tuned LMM or LML.

Never use the theory that if the manufacturer thinks is enough then it's good to go. Every manufacturer out there has cut corners in the eye of profit.

Reactions: turbovanman

·
Registered
465 Posts

Totally off topic to the original post.... this plumbing setup pictured above has potential flow restriction. With the exception of the AN fittings, the sharp 45 degree bends throughout will hinder performance.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Never use the theory that if the manufacturer thinks is enough then it's good to go. Every manufacturer out there has cut corners in the eye of profit.
While that specific post was not about an OEM solution, as a rule of thumb, if considering adding something to improved a carefully engineered OEM system like a DMax engine and its peripheral components (which do have room for improvement because the OEMs have to make compromises or else the truck will end up costing $100k) the best 'rule of thumb' guideline is to lean toward heavy-duty diesel (OTR truck) components made by manufacturers like RACOR, etc.

While that is an example of an opinion (as most 'rules of thumb' are), the facts come from doing a needs analysis (aka: "suitability to task"), specs and testing.

The testimonial model works on a different basis, one that tries to suppress pertinent facts (which like it or not, are not opinions because among other reasons, they are provable by testing and other objective methods) in order to preserve whatever sacred cow is on offer. But forgive me, I should not ever mention that again, as I have been warned that any further mention of anything like that will be considered "ranting" and will be cause for termination. :rolleyes: So I dare not present any more suitability-to-task calculation methods, nor any manufacturer-supplied charts/specifications/test data or any other factual data, lest the regulars here continue to vendattacize it in that manner. (Yeah, I made up that word, just now.)

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
While that specific post was not about an OEM solution, as a rule of thumb, if considering adding something to improved a carefully engineered OEM system like a DMax engine and its peripheral components (which do have room for improvement because the OEMs have to make compromises or else the truck will end up costing $100k) the best 'rule of thumb' guideline is to lean toward heavy-duty diesel (OTR truck) components made by manufacturers like RACOR, etc.

While that is an example of an opinion (as most 'rules of thumb' are), the facts come from doing a needs analysis (aka: "suitability to task"), specs and testing.

The testimonial model works on a different basis, one that tries to suppress pertinent facts (which like it or not, are not opinions because among other reasons, they are provable by testing and other objective methods) in order to preserve whatever sacred cow is on offer. But forgive me, I should not ever mention that again, as I have been warned that any further mention of anything like that will be considered "ranting" and will be cause for termination. :rolleyes: So I dare not present any more suitability-to-task calculation methods, nor any manufacturer-supplied charts/specifications/test data or any other factual data, lest the regulars here continue to vendattacize it in that manner. (Yeah, I made up that word, just now.)

Cause for infraction I think.
Anyways, have you done a lift pump install on your dmax?

·
Registered
36 Posts
this thread has gone in 2 directions! have to say it is a bit educational and maybe emotional to say the least. I have been a technician for 30 years and a performance enthusiast for the same. all of Us seem to strive to accomplish the same goals, just different routes. that being said, I realize the diesel retail industry is profit driven and I am slow to jump on the cubic horse power dollar spending. sometimes I question the stuff We buy to support Our hobby could be priced a bit lower if it didnt have all the bling to go with it. I dont agree with bashing any vendors, but if a low cost lift pump will do the job for 100k miles, do I need to spend 1000$ on a fuel system that is still not warranted to last any longer or do a better job?

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
this thread has gone in 2 directions! have to say it is a bit educational and maybe emotional to say the least. I have been a technician for 30 years and a performance enthusiast for the same. all of Us seem to strive to accomplish the same goals, just different routes. that being said, I realize the diesel retail industry is profit driven and I am slow to jump on the cubic horse power dollar spending. sometimes I question the stuff We buy to support Our hobby could be priced a bit lower if it didnt have all the bling to go with it. I dont agree with bashing any vendors, but if a low cost lift pump will do the job for 100k miles, do I need to spend 1000$ on a fuel system that is still not warranted to last any longer or do a better job?
Your right in not spending more than necessary to do the job. At first I thought Elvis was going to post his install using one of the pumps he is talking about but it went a different direction. It's easy to say one thing works better than another but you need to have used it at least to show the how and why.

·
Bac To The Future
23,007 Posts
For a guy who's been banned twice here already, he sure flips the bird to forum rules without issue. Kinda reminds me of Killerbee's posting style from way-back. Hmmm, coincidence?

I highly doubt he owns a Duramax of any kind (has never posted about his specific truck thru his three screennames) and seems to have an agenda, so I wouldnt put much credence into his posts.

When it comes to a lift pump, do your OWN research and pick what pump setup will work best for your situation.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
FASS, AirDog and Kennedy, all 3 are very good lift pumps

I went with the AirDog FP-100 several years ago, works for me just fine, nothing fancy it's a good basic LP good for adding around 90-100 hp.
AD has a lifetime warranty and its priced at $599 complete including 2 filters with everything you need to install it.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
It is easy to spend a lot of money very quickly with these trucks. Us van guys are lucky that we get 2 fuel filters from the factory. I went with a single Kennedy pump deluxe kit for $375. For my application it has been great for nearly 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Sorry to hear that yours is already failing. Neat pump, but not intended for long life when run continuously.
How many miles do you think you have on it?
The 6.4 uses this pump so it is a continous run design. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
The 6.4 uses this pump so it is a continous run design. :thumb:
Your talking unicorns now, nobody is going to believe that there is a 6.4 out there that runs continuously :HiHi:

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Your talking unicorns now, nobody is going to believe that there is a 6.4 out there that runs continuously :HiHi:
Touche, good one, :whistle: :hehe:

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.