Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping some of you veteran Dmaxers can help out a Dmax newbie. I recently purchased my Dmax and have now been lured in by all the mods. I would first like to let my Dmax breathe better then later on add some more power. In your honest opinion which exhaust sytem would you recommend??? Banks? Magnaflow? Other? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Twebb

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I cut the muffler off and installed a straight pipe. Great flow but a little loud under load.

My eyes always draw me to 5". Since going from the already large 3 1/2" stock exhaust to 4" doesn't make a huge performance difference, my attitude is if I was to buy a new exhaust, it's gonna be 5" out the back. It's not how it functions..... it how it looks.

I would either go 5" all the way or the Kennedy 4" to 5" full tailpipe.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Hoot, who sells a 5" all the way?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had a Gibson SS dual system on my truck. the truck was purchased new in 11/2001 and after only 1 yr of the Gibson, the factory portion (all the way up to the muffler) looked like new and teh SS portion was all rusted. I would recommend aluminized for better appearance over a longer period.

I just installed a http://www.kennedydiesel.com 4"/5" aluminized exhaust system on my truck. It is 4" up to the fat 5" ID muffler, then 5" from there on out. It uses really wide SS band clamps and custom welded brackets that use all stock hangers.

Although it comes a little long so you can trim it to fit the way you want, it cleared everything great. There doesn't appear to be enough room above the torsion bar crossmember for a 5" pipe to go through without possibly rubbing on on side or the other. This system cleared everything exactly down the middle, so no chance of rubbing. I've got a 33" spare, and it cleared with plenty of room all around. The look of the 5" tailpipe is awesome!

The noise difference between stock and Gibson was almost imperceptible at idle and in-town driving but as quiet as stock on the fwy with a nice deep rumble at WOT.

The Kennedy Diesel is exactly the same loudness as the Gibson - nearly the same as stock, and very quiet, no drone at any rpm on the fwy. The only time you really hear a difference is at WOT, with the window down, and the exhaust echoing off of a building or car next to you. It is very quiet in the cab, especially with the windows up but someone next to the tailpipe will have no doubt when you are WOT.

All in all, I'm very happy with how it looks, fits and performs and extremely surprised at how quiet it is.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts