Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing the design of the new exhaust system for my burban. One issue that I haven't seen addressed in the thousands of other "exhaust system" posts is related to tailpipe location - either in front of the tire or install at original location behind the tire. I'm concerned that exhaust fumes will enter the rear window of the vehicle if I place the tailpipe in front of the tire. I'll never hear the end of it if the kids and wife have to breathe diesel fumes while the windows are down. I don't really care as I was one of those nuts who as a kid use to stand by the curb waiting for the old bubble-front NJ Transit buses to go by as they belched huge clouds of smoke. Any unhappiness in the family will more than offset any performance gain I realize from the new system by reducing overall pipe length and removing the bends over the rear axle.

Any ideas/thoughts?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I don't think the difference in front of or behind the tire will make any performance difference, the restriction is in opening up from 2.5" stock to 3.5" or better, better flowing muffler than stock, gutting cat if you have one , and getting rid of the crushed downpipe for a round mandrel bent one

·
Registered
195 Posts
I put mine out in front of the wheel and don't notice any smell, pretty loud though, with no cat and no muffler.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I reduced my ats 3" exhaust to a down pipe, 6' of straight pipe (to get past the cab) and a slight bend to direct the exhaust to the passenger side. It is louder, but only when you are gettin' on it. If You're wanting to make you exhaust gas benign add Biodiesel and smell the difference.

Quantum mechanic

93 2500 6.5L

94 3500 6.5

96 3500 6.5

1 - 4 of 4 Posts